cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi

sam113
Visitor
Hi folks. I just got an extra sim thinking I would use it for my wifi. I activated it, bought credit but it is not working. Would any of you tech savvy people have any advice, thanks in advance 🙂
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You mean you didn't know that you could configure things for your laptop to use your phone to connect to the internet?

You seem to be using an iPhone so this should help:

https://support.apple.com/en-ie/HT204023

As ever Apple make things more complicated than they need to be so if you have problems with this then have a look at the note about iPhone personal hotspot setup:

http://community.48months.ie/t5/The-Knowledgebase/My-Internet-is-not-working/ta-p/45928

Hope this helps.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

View solution in context

19 REPLIES 19

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend
What happened/went wrong?
It's definitely possible to configure a personal hotspot and have other wifi devices connect to it to share the phone's internet connection.
First step is to make sure that the phone itself can connect to the internet.
Then configure the personal hotspot.
Then connect devices (e.g. laptop) to the phone's personal hotspot and see that they can connect to the internet.
Bear in mind that a laptop will most likely use a lot more data than the phone itself so you could easily use up your data allowance quicker than usual.

Hope this helps.
I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend
Any update @sam113?

sam113
Visitor
Hi, I've no idea, I followed your instructions as best I could. It says contact carrier when I try to press personal hotspot 😕

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend
You need to look at the video linked from the instructions that I linked to earlier.
This problem is due to the stupid way that Apple do things.
The video explains how to get around this and complete the configuration of the personal hotspot.

Hope this helps.

sam113
Visitor
Dalyer, I've been at it all day. Bingo, got it :). I've no idea how to be honest but I couldn't have done it without your help. Thank you thank you thank you .x.

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend
Great. So you have the hotspot working and can connect to the internet through it from your laptop?

sam113
Visitor
Yep 🙂

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend
That's great.
Glad you got it sorted in the end.

RobertR3829
Newcomer
Hello dalyer the legend.
I'm wondering do u know if a 48 sim can be used with a 4g router? So I could connect other devices?
I'm not sure if this is allowed?
I'm enquiring if this can be done?
Tks
Rob

Yes it is allowed.

Just be aware of the fair usage terms and conditions.

See this recent thread on the same issue:

https://community.48.ie/t5/Internet/Data-usage-incorrect/m-p/54224

Hope this helps.