Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Why can't I change my membership whenever I like?

Anon
‎31-05-2013 08:46 PM

Hi, I have a pretty simple and straightforward question:

I was on the Mitch membership for the first time, to give it a try, but ran out of texts and call time on it before the month was up. Had to buy several text add-ons which was a pain. So I realised it's probably not the membership type for me. Fair enough, hands up - my own fault, cut my losses and move on. Not a problem, or so I thought, I'll just switch back to the Don.

So I logged in, paid my 20 quid for the Don and assumed my membership would change over, just taking the place of the Mitch membership (Let me stress this point so there's no confusion: I did NOT expect to get the benefits of both plans, I just wanted to switch outright from one to the other, 48 can even keep my remaining texts and data on the old plan! (all 14-point-something Gigs of it).

But unless I'm mistaken this doesn't seem to be possible. I was told that I have to wait for the current membership to run out until I get access to the new one, and in the meantime if I want to make calls I can pay for more add ons.

Now I've been paying the full whack for VIP membership for months now, since joining the network in fact, and even this month with the slightly cheaper Mitch package I've had to buy several text add ons already to keep it going, thus spending over the usual 20 quid. I've also bought roaming texts and planned to buy more when abroad. It's not massive sums of money, granted, but I'm sure 48 are glad to have it every month, and I'd have been happy to keep paying it.

What I'm asking is can a member choose to switch their package when they like? If not, why? How does it in any way affect 48 if I choose to do so? Surely if anything 48 benefits from me doing this as you're saving my remaining data and texts!

0 Likes

Re: Why can't I change my membership whenever I like?

[ Edited ]
The Legend
‎31-05-2013 11:52 PM

You can't change your membership whenever you like. You have to wait for the current membership (and any stacked memberships if applicable) to run their course first. That's just the way 48 works with their monthly membership model. Maybe 48 can explain why it's not possible to "prematurely" terminate a current membership and supersede it with a newly purchased one...

Hope this helps.

I am not a 48 employee so if you need to contact 48 support then use option 3 or the chat facility here.
0 Likes

Anon
‎01-06-2013 09:51 AM

Cheers for your help, much appreciated.

I was correct so. I await someone from 48 to provide a satisfactory explanation of this,  or I'll be switching providers when the next membership is up and warning others against joining.

0 Likes

The Legend
‎01-06-2013 11:45 AM

I guess it would be no harm if there was something on the website or when signing up that was more explicit about the strictly monthly nature of membership and the fact that all memberships must run their course. But on the other hand I get the impression from many of the support queries posted here that few people (not referring to you :-) read that stuff before or when signing up.

Whatever about that why change providers? Now that you know how the membership works why not just choose the membership that suits you best and stick with it? Don (formerly VIP) suits me best and I just stick with that. And why warn others off joining? Why not just tell them to read the bumpf first and decide if 48 and one of the memberships is right for them - it may not be suitable for everybody...

Hope this helps.

I am not a 48 employee so if you need to contact 48 support then use option 3 or the chat facility here.
0 Likes

Anon
‎01-06-2013 12:17 PM

It definitely isn't made very clear on the website at all. Yes I'm sure it's in the fine print but who goes and reads the fine print on any network's website before buying credit in a shop? Similarly they won't read it on here - important details should be made very explicit to people. The main page I'm pretty certain everyone looks at is this one: http://48months.ie/deal which just gives the impression that you pay for a membership and it lasts a month.

I would have assumed that if you pay again mid-month it just starts up a new monthly cycle. I can't be the only one either as I ran this by a friend of mine who's on 48 as well and he said he'd have made the exact same mistake.

Why switch network? Because I've been inconvenienced by this whole episode and it leaves a bad taste.  I'm then seeing the ads on telly from another network saying that for 20 quid a month I'll get a very similar package and I won't have to buy roaming add ons.

BTW, not having a go at you personally, I appreciate your help on this. 48 haven't bothered with a response.

0 Likes

The Legend
‎01-06-2013 12:35 PM

@adamdinan wrote:

BTW, not having a go at you personally, I appreciate your help on this. 48 haven't bothered with a response.

No worries! :-) I appreciate where you're coming from on this. You are definitely not the first to be confused by this and assume that a new membership would immediately supersede an existing one. Apart from that some people have had more fundamental confusion about the nature of 48's membership rather than purely credit based model. I'm sure that there's always scope for refinement, simplification and improvement.... 

Hope this helps.

0 Likes

Anon
‎04-06-2013 03:55 PM

im just sick of this.... you just changed the membership style and i had  a pre pay for two months.... that means that i have to wait 2 months for this **bleep** to finish..... !!!!!!!!! you should warn people when you changing the style of your membership.... !!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Likes

[ Edited ]
The Legend
‎04-06-2013 04:21 PM

@chufans wrote:

you should warn people when you changing the style of your membership.... !!!!!!!!!!!!

For what it's worth the strictly monthly nature of 48 membership is explained here:

http://48months.ie/boiler-plate/price-plan-details

Your membership lasts from the date of purchase until midnight at the end of the same date in the next month (the anniversary date). So if you buy a membership on 2nd of February you will need to buy your next membership on the 2nd of March.

If you purchase a membership on the 29th, 30th or 31st day of a month and the anniversary does not occur in the next month then your membership will last until the last day in that next month. So if you buy a membership on 31st March it will last until 30th April as there are only 30 days in that month.

You can buy up to 6 Monthly Memberships at any one time however you only need (and can only have) one active in any Monthly Membership period. Where you buy memberships in advance they will queue and activate when your current membership period expires.

Having said that ... maybe a message just before the execution of a membership purchase clarifying precisely when the new membership will take effect would help? Or maybe offer the OPTION of terminating an existing membership prematurely (and willingly losing any unused benefits) and starting the new one immediately? 

Hope this helps.

0 Likes

Anon
‎13-06-2013 11:13 AM

What fees will I face if I switch networks back to my old one early?

0 Likes

The Legend
‎13-06-2013 11:55 AM

You won't face any charges from 48 - other than the "loss" of any membership month(s) that you have not fully used when you switch.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Announcements
If you haven't already registered, now is a good time to do so. Register now >>
Order a free SIM
Earn some extra credit or cash with MatesRates!
Unlock your phone
Ask the community