Newcomer

I cannot port my old number.
When I enter my mobile number I get a pop up saying Error
Sorry! This msisdn already exists

3 REPLIES 3

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend

This has been reported from time to time in the past.

Were you previously with 48 by any chance?

You'll almost certainly need to contact 48 support in order to get assistance with this.

See the link in my signature below or email them at support@48months.zendesk.com

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

jackl1236
Newcomer

Based on my personal experience, it seems to happen when the number you’re trying to port/move already exists on the current network.

IE: You’re moving your 08******** number to 48 but that number already exists and is active on 48.

It’s completely possible that the number you’re porting to 48 is already being used by another person on the 48 network, though having two of the exact same number active on any moment is near impossible .

However, mobile networks usually recycle their numbers instead of generating new ones. So it’s possible that your number has a history of being ported around and has been with 48 before.

IE: You’re moving your 08******** number to 48 but that number already exists and is active on 48.

> It’s completely possible that the number you’re porting to 48 is already being used by another person on the 48 network, though having two of the exact same number active on any moment is near impossible .

Other than nefarious number spoofing this shouldn't be possible.

All mobile numbers are unique.

I think that it happens when (a) you were previously with 48, (b) you moved to another provider, and (c) you are now moving back but some error in their database/process resulted in your MSISDN mistakenly remaining in their database after step (b). Whatever the root cause only 48 support are going to be able to sort this out.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.