cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

College money managing tips !

Anon
Not applicable
Hey guys, I know a lot of you may already be in college, but I thought id add this post to help out anyone starting college this year and give a few tips in terms of managing money - some of us don't have every thing paid for by our parents 😉

Tip 1 - internet - if you're living in a place that doesn't have wifi, I'd recommend the 48 Don or Mitch deal. I didn't have wifi and I never ran out last year and I was constantly on my phone on Facebook and reddit and YouTube ^_^
I used my phone for research as well when I wasn't using the library internet.

Tip 2 - food - shop in lidl/aldi and AVOID shopping in shops like centra or spar etc because they truly are over priced. Plan what you need and STICK to the list (nothing wrong with a bit of ice cream on the list, just don't go mad)

Tip 3 - cook in bulk and freeze and store what you have left. I make big chicken curries etc and put them into labeled boxes and freeze them - they keep forever and it's cheaper to buy in bulk.
Also nice when you're not bothered to cook!

Tip 4 - if you're on grant or receive money somehow - pay off rent and bills FIRST, calculate how much you have left over, and divide it into 4, you'll see how much you have to spend in that month. That way you can plan what you can and can't buy and won't suddenly be stuck for cash

Tip 5 - honesty - if you can't afford eat out with your friends all the time (and it seems they can) be honest with them. Whatever, would you rather be broke? (But if you follow tip 4 you should be able to splash out on a bit of takeaway now and then )

Tip 6 - pre drink before you head out, need I say more ?

Tip 7 - only turn on the heating when you REALLY need to, remember it's you paying for it not your parents, plus remember to switch off all the lights and electrical supplies when you're done with them. Blankets and hot water bottles are your friends now 😉

Tip 8 - groupon and grabone are you best friends.
Find presents for people or treat someone to dinner with these apps - honest to god - i got my
Mom Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream for like €10,
And my sister a free meal at a burrito bar, save save save

Tip 9
Money jar - loose change ? Shove it in the money jar, you'll be suprised how much you can save up and use on yummy things like Chinese food or cake ...

Tip 10 - student travel cards (Dublin)and age cards will not only help you travel cheaper
- but you'll get discounts on food and clothing also 🙂

I hope I helped somewhat - if I think of more I'll update the thread. Tell me what you think or if you want to add some more I'd love to see them ^_^
1 REPLY 1

Anon
Not applicable
Tip 11 :

Dont spend money.