Did you mean: 

Job Hunting Tips?

Anon
Not applicable

So i'm searching for a part-time job.

In Dublin.

As a student.

Halp 😞

So i've been popping into every nook and cranny, every website and I don't seem to be getting anywhere. I'm stuck in the viscious circle of:

need-experience-for-job.jpg

And the problem is, i don't know anyone who can put a good word in, 'tis a hard life !

Anyone stuck like me?

15 REPLIES 15

Anon
Not applicable

Here are some tips:

• Get a professional email address.
  • Do up a CV and cover letter that is targeted at the company. What I do is read the company discription and put skills that I think are relevent on my CV and cover letter.
  • Use this for a template for the CV and cover letter http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/bdc7b7ee#/bdc7b7ee/24
  • If you get invited to an interview make sure you wear a suit. This is very important as it shows respect and commitment.

Anon
Not applicable

Thank you so much!
Although i have a few questions..

What do you mean by a professional email address? mine is just firstnamesurname@gmail.com like I don't have anythig silly just my name!

And i'm a girl, not gonna wear a suit... hopefully i'll get as far as an interview!

Anon
Not applicable

Hi Camsterr,

firstnamesurname is perfect. I was talking about emails that people created when they were 12 and think are okay to use on a CV, like sclub7fan@gmail.com or something like that.

That UCD careers booklet I linked to above is a really good read. It was really helpful in getting me a job.

Anon
Not applicable

Hahah fortunately I was never like that 😛

Yeah I looked at it, it was pretty handy, although I think my cover letter and CV are pretty good!
it's just it seems they don't even want to LOOK at them anymore 😕

Pah, ah well, i'll let you know if I get any offers 😛

Anon
Not applicable

This image also is very helpful:

http://recruiterbox.com/static/media/uploads/confessions-of-the-recruiting-industry-infographic.png

Kind of emphasises how careful you have to be online and with speeling and grammer.

Anon
Not applicable
have you tried cooking and distributing methamphetamine?

Anon
Not applicable
protip : its gotta be blue.

Anon
Not applicable

GUYS- UPDATE

Got an interview - had it today !

I got an interview to be a waitress at a very posh resturant, I was so nervous but I think it went really well. Luckily I had researched the menus and everything because they started asking me about the resturant and I was able to answer everything 🙂
I also made them laugh so that's an added plus.
I find out next week if I got it, but they made me fill out a VERY intricate application form (with medical questions and all) to fill out... so who knows!

I think the fact that I didnt ramble, kept it short and sweet but informed inpressed them.
Plus showing a bit of personality helps.

Kepp your fingers crossed for me!!!

marionh
Crew (retired)
Crew (retired)

How exciting! Will keep my fingers crossed for you.