Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
75% helpful (121/162)
jess_48
Community Manager
Community Manager

Can I keep my Number?

Absolutely, when you’re activating your SIM you will have a choice to move your number to 48 or select a new number from us. See the quick how-to video below:

It's worth noting that when you activate your 48 SIM, you can opt to take a tempoary number for the moment and then move your number once your account has been set up.

This allows you to have a service on your old network SIM and your new 48 SIM until your number move has completed. As soon as your exsisting number moves, then the service on your old SIM will no longer be available and you'll be up and running on 48. 

Quick Steps:

1. Login to your My48 account.
  2. Go to My Profile and select Move your number. In a hurry, click here  👉 Move my number 
  3. Pop the number that you want to move to 48 into the box and hit “Move”. Enter format as 08XXXXXXXX
  4. You will receive a security code by text to that number within 15 minutes. 
  5. Select the account type (account types exaplained ⬇️ ).
  6. Enter the security code that you received via SMS. 
  7. Have a quick read of the T&Cs, and then hit “move your number”. 

Just a Heads Up:

• We want you to be up and running ASAP, so do make sure your phone is unlocked. If your handset is still locked to your old provider, you will not be able to use 48 services. Click here to find out more.
  • Once you have confirmed that your handset is unlocked, pop your old network’s SIM back into your phone, and we will send you a security code via SMS in order to move your number.  
  • If your old network SIM has no service or you can't receive the security code SMS, then you will need to make contact with your old provider as they will have visibility of your old account. 
  • We will also need to know the type of account you had with your old network. If you submit the incorrect account details, then your old network will reject our request until the correct information is provided. See account types exlained below and if you are still unsure, just ask your old provider and they will let you know what your account type is. 

Account Types Explained

Prepay: You were pay-as-you-go with your old network and topped up your account. You will need to know if your details were registered or unregistered to your old account. Basically, if your old network had your personal details, i.e., name, address, etc. 

Bill Pay: You either had a contract or SIM-only plan and you paid your bill every month. We will need your old bill pay account number. You will find this on an old bill or if you're not sure, just give your old network a shout.

Business/Family Account: There’s more than one number on the account (multi-line). We will need your old bill pay account number. You will find this on an old bill or if you're not sure, just give your old network a shout. As there's more then one number, these requests take a bit longer to go through, so to make the move easier for you, you can opt to select a new number temporarily from us when you activate your SIM. Then follow the above steps to move your number. 

Quick Tip: If you've taken a new number from us, then this is saved on your My48 account. Just login to your My48 >> Go My Profile >> My details and your number will display here.

What if I select a new number but then change my mind?  

We’ve got you covered. If you change your mind, you can still move your existing number to your 48 SIM. Login to My48 >> My Profile >> Move Your Number. In a hurry, just click 👉 here

Are there only certain hours I can move my number? 

Yes, all networks work between the below hours for moving numbersOutside opening hours, you can still submit your request, but the clock won’t start until the next morning opening hours begin.

• Monday - Friday 8am to 6pm (except Bank Holidays) 
  • Saturday - Sunday & Bank Holidays 10am - 4pm

If you submitted your number to move during opening hours, see above. The time it takes to complete will vary depending on your old network account type.

• Prepay & Bill pay accounts can take between 2 - 3 hours.
  • Business/Family take up to 24h hours.

I got an email to say there's a problem with moving my number? 

Not to worry! This can happen and it's an easy fix. Your current network will reject our request to move your number if the details you've entered don't match their records. So, for example, if you select that you have a prepay registered account but you actually have a prepay unregistered account, then you will get an email from us to let you know your number hasn't moved but to try again. To resubmit your request, login to your My48>> Settings >>Move Your Number and start afresh. To avoid getting the same email again, it might be best to get onto your current provider and they will give your exact details so you can get moved over. 

I didn't get an email but my number hasn't moved yet?

There can be a few reasons for this. Take a look at the steps below:

1. If you have submitted to move your number outside opening hours, then the request won't start until the following day's opening hours begin. So, for example, if you have submitted your prepay registered number to move at 8pm on a Tuesday, your request will stay on hold until 8am on Wednesday morning. It will then begin processing. Weekend opening hours for moving your number are shorter, so it's good to bear this in mind too.
  2. If you have a Business/Family plan, these can take 24 hours to complete and are only processed during opening hours. For example, if you submit your request at 9am Monday morning, the request will only begin to process at 9am Tuesday morning. If you submit the request on Saturday at 10am, your request will not start until Monday at 10am and it will complete on Tuesday by 10am. 

If you have followed the above steps and still need some help, get in contact with 48 Customer Care and they will be happy to help resolve your issue. 

Was this article helpful? Yes No
Version history
Last update:
‎03-07-2023 04:03 PM
Updated by: