cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going out of country for while, can I still receive calls?

hotchrocket
Newcomer

Hey, 

Looking for a bit of advice if possible.  New customer to 48 and so far so good.  My wallet is happier at least 🙂  Anyhow, just wondering about this.  Will be abroad for about 8 weeks shortly.  I will be using a different phone/number while away but would still like to have my Irish number active as it is an important contact number.  I would not need to actually be able to answer phone.  Would only need to keep number on and see missed calls - does any of this make any sense?  So what I am wondering is - if I do not top up for a month, does my number stay active i.e, it does not go blank until new membership purchased?  And, can I just come back on when I come home?

Thanks in advance.

G

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend

You can receive calls.

But you will need an active membership at all time in order to do this.

So you should buy memberships to cover your trip in advance of leaving or online while abroad.

If you are travelling to the EU then it might make sense to buy EU texts and/or calls add-ons.

Specifically with an EU calls add-on it will cost nothing to receive calls (you still need an active membership as mentioned above) but without it you will pay 8c per minute to receive calls.

If you do not have an EU calls add-on or you are travelling elsewhere then you will need cash credit to pay for making and receiving calls and sending texts.

See here - under "Roaming" - for more on the applicable charges including calls to voicemail from abroad.

Other call charges

Remember that 48 do not support data roaming abroad so you will need wifi to access the internet.

Hope this helps.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

View solution in context

5 REPLIES 5

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend

You can receive calls.

But you will need an active membership at all time in order to do this.

So you should buy memberships to cover your trip in advance of leaving or online while abroad.

If you are travelling to the EU then it might make sense to buy EU texts and/or calls add-ons.

Specifically with an EU calls add-on it will cost nothing to receive calls (you still need an active membership as mentioned above) but without it you will pay 8c per minute to receive calls.

If you do not have an EU calls add-on or you are travelling elsewhere then you will need cash credit to pay for making and receiving calls and sending texts.

See here - under "Roaming" - for more on the applicable charges including calls to voicemail from abroad.

Other call charges

Remember that 48 do not support data roaming abroad so you will need wifi to access the internet.

Hope this helps.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

Hey dalyer,

Thanks so much for your help and apologies for delay in acknowledging.

Pretty much as I thought but just wanted to check as I am a newbie with 48.

Will be nice if the proposed axe on roaming charges goes ahead - although phone companies may not agree!

Many thanks once again.

Cheers,

HR

Glad it helped.

As far as I know this is the de facto and imminent situation with regard to EU roaming charges so from July this year things should change.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union_roaming_regulations#Common_limits

Hope this helps.

Anon
Not applicable
How does data work? I have bought data as part of my membership (Guido) and but I'm away in lanzarote at the moment and my data won't work at all.

Sarah

Unfortunately 48 don't support data roaming abroad at all.

So data access will not work abroad.

For internet access you'll have to just use wifi if available.

For calls and texts when in the EU you might want to look at the EU roaming calls/texts add-ons.

Other call charges

http://www.48months.ie/boiler-plate/add-on-rules

Hope this helps.