cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Imesg problems

shardylan01
Visitor
For about 2 weeks now I've had waiting on activation & I can't seem to receive or send iMessages .Have been onto Apple who are blaming everyone and anyone and are being no help
I've tried resetting and factory restore and still no joy .Anyone any idea ?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend

Apple and their stupid activation system strikes again - one of the most common sources of problems for iPhone users here (and presumably on other networks too...). 😐

Have you had any cash credit on your account over that time?

Apple iPhone/iMessage/FaceTime activation can involve the automatic sending of a UK SMS message which on 48 costs 25c charged from your cash credit balance.

If you don't have cash credit on your account then the process will not be able to send this SMS message.

If that doesn't help then try an iTunes sync as that sometimes does it.

Hope this helps.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

View solution in context

12 REPLIES 12

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend

Apple and their stupid activation system strikes again - one of the most common sources of problems for iPhone users here (and presumably on other networks too...). 😐

Have you had any cash credit on your account over that time?

Apple iPhone/iMessage/FaceTime activation can involve the automatic sending of a UK SMS message which on 48 costs 25c charged from your cash credit balance.

If you don't have cash credit on your account then the process will not be able to send this SMS message.

If that doesn't help then try an iTunes sync as that sometimes does it.

Hope this helps.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

shardylan01
Visitor
Thanks for the reply .I don't know to be honest .I've had 48 for about 2 years and never had an issue until the past few weeks .
I had no idea about this 25c activation (I have no cred in my a/c ) Do I need to add money ?

Yes you should put some cash credit on your account (€1 is the minimum topup amount) and then power off and on again and then wait and see if it activates.

As I mentioned this is down to Apple and their stupid activation mechanism.

No other phones require this palaver.

Hope this helps.

Have added money to my a/c and will reset see if that helps

Bear in mind that activation may not be immediate.

I don't know if you eventually get an indication that activation has taken place.

Up to now were you getting any message that activation had NOT happened?

shardylan01
Visitor
Thank you so much it appears that has done it .I had no clue about any of this .Its a bit ridiculous

Great - glad it got sorted.

Yes - for reasons known only to Apple they insist on this palaver on certain networks.

No idea why and no other phone manufacturer requires it.

shardylan01
Visitor
Wonder why it only started now ? Glad you knew and were able to help

You mean iMessage was working OK before but just stopped working in the last 2 weeks?

If so did you do an iOS update or something?

Activation is usually a once off process but maybe some or all iOS updates reset things and it's required again.

Pity Apple couldn't have been a bit more helpful.

You're not the first to report that their "geniuses" gave useless advice... 😐