cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet in USA

fraggle
Newcomer
Hello,

Thinking of using the phone as a satnav in us when I hire a car there.
Is this a sensible option? Don't know if it is a big data consumer.
How will it charged? And how can I pay for the service?
Calls and texts come from cash balance according to other post replies but hoe about data?
Thanks,
Tony
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

See if you can get maps/navgation working here in Ireland with no data/wifi connection but with GPS enabled.

Not sure if you might need to download maps for offline use.

https://support.google.com/gmm/answer/2650218?hl=en

If you can get that working then you should be OK in the US - but you will definitely not have any data connection over there on 48.

Hope this helps.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

View solution in context

5 REPLIES 5

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend
48 don't support data roaming abroad in any country unfortunately.
I don't know if you can download maps for offline use and just use GPS?
I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

Anon
Not applicable
Please note that while I was in the UK a few months ago, my GPS worked fine. I had location services and wifi switched on, and the lil blue man was runnin around fine!

What maps app were you using?

Most require a data connection to download maps in real time but some (e.g. Nokia Here/Ovi Maps) have them offline or (e.g. Google Maps) offer the option to download them for offline use.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm using navigator on a Samsung, it uses google maps.
Looks like it is downloading them on the go.

See if you can get maps/navgation working here in Ireland with no data/wifi connection but with GPS enabled.

Not sure if you might need to download maps for offline use.

https://support.google.com/gmm/answer/2650218?hl=en

If you can get that working then you should be OK in the US - but you will definitely not have any data connection over there on 48.

Hope this helps.