cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM not valid

cianamarch
Visitor

Hi there.

I have just purchased an unlocked phone (previously Vodafone). I have synced it with my iTunes but it is not accepting my 48 SIM. 

The message reads: "Sim Not Valid - The SIM card that you currently have installed in this iPhone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. This is not a hardware issue with the iPhone. Please insert another SIM card from a supported carrier or request that this iPhone be unlocked by your carrier. Please contact Apple for more information."

I have contacted the seller who has spoken to Vodafone. They have assured them that the phone is unlocked. 

Does anyone have any solutions or suggestions please??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

My understanding is that if you get that message then it's not unlocked.

So I'm not sure what's going on other than it looks like it's not unlocked.

If Vodafone unlock it then it should work on any network.

I would suggest trying some other (free) SIMs in it - e.g. Tesco, Lycamobile, 3, Meteor - if/when possible.

If they all give the same error then presumably it's still locked.

Hope this helps.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

View solution in context

10 REPLIES 10

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend

Where did you buy it?

Are you sure that the seller is telling the truth because it certainly sounds like the phone is not unlocked for use on any network...

Certainly if you Google that specific message then it seems to mean that the phone is not unlocked for use on any network.

Can you try a Vodafone SIM in it?

And/or a SIM from another network (not 48 or Vodafone)?

Also check this post:

http://community.48months.ie/t5/Most-Popular-Questions/Invalid-SIM-on-iPhone/m-p/5936#U5936

Hope this helps.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

Thanks for your speedy response!

I bought it from Done Deal. Seller has been very helpful. Vodafone have said they will resend the unlocking code tomorrow. She has offered to take the phone back if this doesn't work. 

Seller tried a vodafone sim in it when we met and it worked fine. Unfortunately I have no other sims to try in it right now.

Could it be the case that they just didn't unlock it properly the first time? Or is it that, when Vodafone unlock phones, 48 isn't one of the carriers they support? I'm not sure how unlocking works but can they choose which networks will be compatible with the phone once they've unlocked it?

My understanding is that if you get that message then it's not unlocked.

So I'm not sure what's going on other than it looks like it's not unlocked.

If Vodafone unlock it then it should work on any network.

I would suggest trying some other (free) SIMs in it - e.g. Tesco, Lycamobile, 3, Meteor - if/when possible.

If they all give the same error then presumably it's still locked.

Hope this helps.

Hopefully it is just a case of the phone not yet being unlocked. Thanks for your help!

Did you ever sort this out?

cianamarch
Visitor
Yes I did thanks! I restored in on iTunes and it unlocked. Thanks for your help!

Great - glad you got it sorted.

Did you have to put some cash credit on your account to get it working?

Just that in some cases iPhones need activation on a new network and the process (either via iOS itself or via a sync with iTunes) sends a UK SMS costing 25c to get going.

Unfortunately iPhones seem to have specific quirks which cause problems in certain circumstances and which other phones (e.g. Android, Windows) don't have.

E.g. initial activation on a new network - particularly virtual opertors which are not "recognized" by Apple, getting them working when roaming abroad or when returning home after roaming, getting iMessage/FaceTime activated (which again may require cash credit to cover the cost of a UK SMS silently sent by the activation process), personal hotspot options not appearing by default etc.

Anon
Not applicable
I'm now having same problem phone def unlocked, and was synced to iTunes and restored (3 time) it's iPhone 5s .. Wrecking my head

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend
Did you follow the advice above?
It may require reactivation.
iPhones are a pain like this unfortunately due to the way that Apple implement things.

Hope this helps.