cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unknown phone number (Nexus 4 - E960)

labrilabri
Newcomer

Just joined 48. Phone is Nexus 4, E960. All setup fine except that in settings/..../phone number, it says "Unknown". Not a major issue but is there any way to get it to show my new number? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I have never seen this work automatically on Android with various SIMs that I have used.

I always had to use CyanogenMod or an old phone to configure the number on the SIM for it to appear.

My guess is that the number in question is simply not programmed into the SIM to appear there.

However, as I said, I have never noticed any negative consequences of the number not appearing there so I just ignore it now.

Hope this helps.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

View solution in context

4 REPLIES 4

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend

You mean under [System] settings > About phone > Status > My phone number?

If so then I don't think that most versions of Android allow you to set this.

Some do - e.g. Cyanogenmod.

There may also be apps that allow you to set this but it may only work on a rooted phone.

Failing that if you can stick the SIM into an old phone (e.g. an old Nokia often does the trick) you can probably configure it there as the configuration is stored on the SIM.

Ultimately I don't think that this really affects anything and it seems to be cosmetic in my experience.

I don't know if/where this configured version of the number is used anywhere...

Hope this helps.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

labrilabri
Newcomer
Thanks, yes that is the location. I can't manually set it as you say and don't have another phone. I am used to the android OS picking up the number....wondering why it doesn't work with the 48 Sim. Will check if there's an app that can help

I have never seen this work automatically on Android with various SIMs that I have used.

I always had to use CyanogenMod or an old phone to configure the number on the SIM for it to appear.

My guess is that the number in question is simply not programmed into the SIM to appear there.

However, as I said, I have never noticed any negative consequences of the number not appearing there so I just ignore it now.

Hope this helps.

Dalyer, thanks for the replies. After hunting around on the web it does seem like the problem is the number is not on the sim. I usually use the phone in the US and there it just appears in the settings place when I change sims. It also seems like the only options I have are to ask 48 to do it, find a phone where I can set it or root my phone etc etc. Not worth the hassle as nothing I use the phone for depends on it. I'll just memorize the number faster than usual....