cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using iPhone in France

philipofhowth
Visitor
Hi I am in Nice in France and I bought texts and minutes b4 I left Ireland but I cannot make phone calls or send texts. When I have local wifi I can use these services . I can receive phone calls but it is like the call minutes I paid for for roaming have not been activated regards Philip
7 REPLIES 7

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend

Almost certainly this due to the stupid way that Apple insist that iPhones work when roaming on some networks:

iPhone abroad issue

You may need to try that several times before it works.

Toggling airplane mode on and then off and trying to "catch" the local network quickly may help.

Hope this helps.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

philipofhowth
Visitor
Thanks for the suggestion but this does not seem to work my wife who has iPhone 5 has full service on the French network she is on bill pay. I'm only getting one dot on the network signal strength on the French network but I cannot make calls or send emails any more ideas . Could it be a sim problem regards Philip

OK - if you are constantly getting "searching for network" or something like that then the link that I posted explains the issue. If you are getting a constant but weak signal then I'm not sure why. In that case try connecting to a different local network and see if that helps. If it doesn't then you'll probably need to contact 48 support for advice:

http://www.48months.ie/help#ask-a-48-agent

Hope this helps.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

Any update?

claire_mc_mahon
Newcomer

also in france and also bought internet before i came here, it wasnt working so i emailed 48 and they said they do not support data roaming so it wasnt possible to use my internet.

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend
Yes 48 don't support data roaming abroad.
For internet access abroad you have to use wifi where available.

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend

@philipofhowth wrote:
... I cannot make phone calls or send texts. When I have local wifi I can use these services 

By the way - this seems very odd - are you sure that that was the case...?

I would not have expected you to be able to make/receive calls or send/receive SMS texts when only on wifi.

Unless you mean IP calls (e.g. Skype, WhatsApp) and/or iMessages?

Regular calls and texts need a carrier connection and do not work over wifi.