cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using mobile internet while on a call

oisinb
Newcomer

Is it possible to use mobile internet (3G/E) for Whatsapp etc. while on a call? I currently cannot.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Just tested it a bit more and it definitely depends on what networ connection you have.

I'm on Android (JellyBean) and if I have H (HSDPA) or H+ (HSDPA+) on the signal bars then I can use the data connection while on a call. But if I have E (EDGE) or 3G (UMTS) on the signal bars then I can't. I'm pretty certain it won't work on 2G (GPRS) either. So check what signal type you are getting. See above for how to get the details on Android. If you're on an iPhone then I guess that there's some other way to do that there.

(I think that I have the carrier data alphabet soup correct above but E&OE! 🙂

Hope this helps.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

View solution in context

4 REPLIES 4

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend

I did a test just now and it works for me.

I disabled wifi, called voicemail and while on the call was able to use the browser to go to Google.

In case it matters I'm on HSDPA (e.g. on Android see System settings > About phone > Status > Mobile network type).

I don't think it works on 2G. 

Maybe it also depends on your phone?

Hope this helps.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

Just tested it a bit more and it definitely depends on what networ connection you have.

I'm on Android (JellyBean) and if I have H (HSDPA) or H+ (HSDPA+) on the signal bars then I can use the data connection while on a call. But if I have E (EDGE) or 3G (UMTS) on the signal bars then I can't. I'm pretty certain it won't work on 2G (GPRS) either. So check what signal type you are getting. See above for how to get the details on Android. If you're on an iPhone then I guess that there's some other way to do that there.

(I think that I have the carrier data alphabet soup correct above but E&OE! 🙂

Hope this helps.

Ye I had a look and you are spot on, thanks for the help.

Glad it helped.