cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone5

lizreynolds
Newcomer
I recently changed to this network and unlocked my phone , it keeps coming up I have no service everywhere I go .. Any suggestions ? I have already rebooted my phone
18 REPLIES 18

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend
Yes. Some versions of ios need this in this context.
More recent versions don't and can do the activation without iTunes.
I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

anthony
Visitor
Ok: poop. No laptop on hols:: thank anyhoo.

@anthony wrote:
Ok: poop. No laptop on hols:: thank anyhoo.

Is your problem getting the iPhone working while roaming abroad?

If so see here as it may help:

http://community.48months.ie/t5/Need-Help/Service-not-working-on-iPhone-5/m-p/36060/highlight/false#...

Hope this helps.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

No, that link seems to be for an iPhone 6 fix.
On the iPhone 5 the option select a carrier is lost if you are not connected to one.

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend
It's not iPhone 6 specific.
But you need to keep trying to catch the option when the phone temporarily/briefly catches a network.
The option is only available when it briefly connects and before it fails.
Keep trying.
It's a bit hit and miss when abroad and really needs to be done BEFORE you travel.
Unfortunately iPhones are a lot of hassle in this and other circumstances for no good reason that I can see.
None of this happens with other phones eg Android.

Hope this helps.

Wow, that actually worked. I just keep trying. I found restarting the phone seems to give a longer connection attempt. Eventually I was able to switch to manual and select VodafoneES. Nothing happened initially. It was when I got back after a the night out that I noticed the phone had eventually successfully connected to VodafoneES.
Problem solved.
Just to note: do not put your sim into someone's else's phone that is working. I did and now have to try fix my partners phone 😕

Thank you Dalyer. I really do appreciate your time and effort on this.

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend
Glad it helped.
I don't know why iPhones are so much hassle in this and other contexts.
Lots of people are having the same problem lately because we're into the holiday season.

Don't suppose you have a fix for an iPhone 5 battery dying three times a day?

Was this when it was constantly searching for networks while abroad?

If so then that would certainly cause more battery drain.

Is it any better now that it has established a connection to a network abroad?

If it's connected to a specific network and not constantly searching for others then it should use less battery.

Or maybe the battery is just old/depleted and needs replacement regardless of the roaming issues?

On Android I would normally install an app or two to identify what specifically is draining the battery.

I presume you can do something similar on iPhones but I'm not really familiar with them these days.

Hope this helps.