Members

Highlighted
Crew Member (retired)

Blackberry Legacy Guide

[ Edited ]

If you're having issues getting online on your Blackberry, first try using Tweakker - 48months.tweakker.com

If that doesn't help, check out the generic Blackberry settings below. 

Blackberry Legacy Guide

Why are Blackberries different to other phones?

What does work?

what doesn't work?

Before you join 48

Setting up 48 internet on your Blackberry:

For O/S 4 and 5 devices

For O/S 6 and 7 devices

Web Access

Facebook on Blackberry

How to check or amend the 48 SMS Message Centre number on a Blackberry  (version 4 or 5 devices)

How to check or amend the 48 SMS Message Centre number on a Blackberry (version 6 or 7 devices)

Corporate Blackberries

Why are Blackberries different to other phones?

Blackberry handsets are manufactured by Research in Motion (RIM).

RIM use a secure encrypted system for mail, messaging, and browsing which relies on all activity being routed through dedicated servers. Any service provider that wishes to offer full Blackberry support must install its own gateway server to allow handsets to connect to the RIM infrastructure

Instead of using locally edited profiles for things like GPRS settings RIM use Service Books which are automatically delivered to the handset when it registers with the service provider.

What does work?

You can use a Blackberry to make voice calls and texts with a 48 SIM

What doesn't work?

The standard Blackberry Web Browser, Push Mail, Blackberry Messenger and MMS (Picture Messaging) will not work on 48 but we’re working with RIM to get this sorted! We’ll keep you posted.

Before you join 48

If you are planning on transferring from another service provider and still have access to Blackberry Browser and Blackberry Market place, then make sure you download any alternative applications such as Opera browser before you migrate over to 48. It will save you from having to fiddle about and installing them via your desktop manager.

Blackberry and 48 – How it works

Please refer to the following steps to use Internet on your Blackberry without

The manual steps to configure the APN settings are as follows

For O/S 4 and 5 devices

• Go to the Home screen and click Options.
  • Click Advanced Options > TCP
  • Enter the APN 48months.liffeytelecom.com

User name can be left blank, and password can be left blank

• Press the Menu key and select Save

For O/S 6 and 7 devices

Press the trackpad button

Open Tray

Select Options > Device > Advanced System Settings > TCP/IP

• Enter the APN 48months.liffeytelecom.com

User name can be left blank, and password can be left blank 
Press the BB Menu key and select Save

Web Access

An alternative web browser such as Opera Mini can be used to provide web browser functionality.

To get a copy of Opera Mini to your PC for transferring to the Blackberry via the Blackberry Desktop Manager software:

Go to http://www.opera.com/mobile/download/blackberry/ for the Opera software

Go to https://rapidshare.com/files/1541462252/470_b059_english_nomediamanager.exe for the Desktop Manager software

Connect your Blackberry to your computer with a USB data cable then use Blackberry Desktop Manager and the application loader and browse to the folder that contains the alx and cod files that Blackberry Desktop Manager needs to install to the handset.

Facebook on Blackberry

Any versions of the Facebook app later than or equal to v1.7 installed on recent handsets or available from download from Facebookwill not work via 48’s APN. There is a workaround that involves downgrading your Facebook client software to version 1.6 but we don’t have a lot of info on this.

How to check or amend the 48 SMS Message Centre number on a Blackberry  (version 4 or 5 devices)

Scroll to Options, press the trackball

Scroll to SMS press the trackball

Scroll to Service Centre, enter +353894300000

Press the BlackBerry key

Scroll to Save and press the trackball

How to check or amend the 48 SMS Message Centre number on a Blackberry (version 6 or 7 devices)

Scroll to All, then press the Trackpad key

Scroll to the Text Messages icon, then press the Trackpad key

Press the Menu key

Scroll to Options, then press the Trackpad key

Scroll to the Service Centre field, then enter +353894300000

Press the Menu key

Scroll to Save, then press the Trackpad key.

Corporate Blackberries

People who have a Blackberry that was previously setup on a corporate account using Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES) may find that due to security policies still in place on their handset, that some options may be blocked.

For example a member reported they couldn't send SMS text messages despite their sim being active and having the correct message center number, the solution was to perform a full factory reset to remove the policies – it worked yes, but it’s not something we’d recommend.

Average Joe

Re: Blackberry Legacy Guide

when i connect to wifi my bbm wont work either is that suppose to happen? and my wifi wont connect right? help

The Legend

[ Edited ]

BBM does not work on 48 as stated in the first post in this thread. This post gives an idea of the sort of things that DO work:

http://community.48months.ie/t5/Need-Help/Support-for-BB10/m-p/788#M214

Hope this helps.

If this answers your question then please mark your question as solved - see here.
Average Joe

Mine is still not working after doing all the options its saying in the corner edge and wont let me access the internet 

The Legend

You may need to log a support request to get 48 to assist you with this so:

http://help.48months.ie/requests/new

Hope this helps.

If this answers your question then please mark your question as solved - see here.
Average Joe

thanks a lot. Opera mini browser is grand, just set up the favourites w/ fb, twitter n that and its fine. not brilliant, but it works!

Average Joe

I just got a Q10 - absolutely gutted that I cant use the data on it - especially since I bought the Don plan!!!

Opera doesnt appear to work on my Q10 either. will the solution be coming soon for these issues?

Average Joe

I know man! I did the exact same thing, it **bleep**in sucks!!No. no time in the near future will anything be changing. Has something to do with whatever way bb get there data streams through or something. I just get the guido now. You WONT use all the internet! nowhere near it man. Bottom line I guess is, just got shafted. no compensation, using 48 with a bb turns a q10 into a basic, anyphone! scroll down a bit on this discussion...have to change the internet settings, then opera mini works fine. but that all. nothing else..http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77759957

Average Joe

Cheers fella. I still am absolutely peeved but what can you do. I really wanted the data for FB and gmail - and for tethering my laptop (thus the 5GB plan) etc. so I will look at the Opera solution alright, but really doesnt meet my needs. I will likely look at another provider after this month (presuming that this is a problem for 48 only)

Average Joe

yeah, I'm sure plenty have. Nothing on 48 really. I was gonna change too, but I just got a cheap 4s off a friends brother, cause the don plan really is class if you get to see it how its meant to be!, for your position though, yeah id say head elsewhere to get the most from the Q10! best of luck nyway man.

Kaiser Soze

I agree that this is a big flaw in the 48 service, due to the recent polpularity of Blackberry's in this country... I'd really like to see 48 work something out with RIM soon.

Sorry this happened guys! :/
--
Ask An Agent.
How to mark as solved.

-Paddy; Community Helper.
Average Joe

are refunds being given out to bb users who have purchased internet without knowing about bb legacy guide

The Legend

I doubt it but contact 48 support and ask them to be sure.

Hope this helps.

Average Joe

Is Blackberry usable with a 48 sim yet, because i know sometime last year ye said ye were working on it? Smiley Happy Thinking of getting a BB but don't want to change from 48!

The Legend

I'm not aware of any change in what does and does not work so I presume that the first post in this thread is still relevant/authoritative?