cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet on a dual sim phone

tmcwoodworks
Visitor

Hi all,

Any help appreciated. I have a dual SIM Alba (I work in a trade and don't waste money on phones that get wrecked in no time). It's cheap and cheerful and works well in general.  All except the internet.  I have only one SIM in it and I have a data package in my allowance. I have changed the settings to those for an Android phone as provided by 48. 

Still not working.  It does have two options in it's network menu one says "allow data over mobile network" and the other says "allow data roaming".  I have both these ticked. 

Does anyone have any ideas? 

Cheers

Tim

9 REPLIES 9

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend

Follow these instructions to configure your internet/APN settings correctly:

http://community.48months.ie/t5/Need-Help/Internet/m-p/34493#M12560

If you still have problems then post back.

If possible include screenshots of your APN and related settings.

Be aware that in many (most?) dual SIM phones the main/first SIM slot is usually capable of 3G (or better) while the secondary SIM slot may only be capable of 2G.

Hope this helps.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend
Did that help at all?
I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

No still not working.  I have set and reset and rebooted all the settings as per instructions.

The internet works over wifi but just not on mobile data.

The other issue it has is it won't let me register with the network and won't even find 48 as an option.  But the phone is working for calls and texts. 

Phone is data enabled and roaming enabled. 

@tmcwoodworks wrote:

The other issue it has is it won't let me register with the network and won't even find 48 as an option.  But the phone is working for calls and texts. 

This does not make sense to me.

What network are you connected to?

If you are not connected to 48 then I would not expect anything - including calls and texts - to work at all.

What networks do you see when you search for networks?

Can you post a screenshot?

Can you post screenshots of your internet/APN settings?

Those instructions that I linked to have worked in every other case bar one.

I assume 48 since it's letting me make calls and send texts.

When I search for networks it's giving me O2, Vodafone, Three etc as options.

I will try to post something tomorrow, I can't do too much at work. 

Thanks for the help so far

OK - some phones don't show 48 for some reason in which case connectig to O2 works. (I'm not sure why this happens but it does...).

I guess that if you don't see 48 then you are connecting to/via O2 instead given that calls and texts are working?

If you see O2 2G and O2 3G then make sure to connect to the latter.

In that case if data is still not working then almost certainly you have some configuration setting wrong.

If you followed the instructions that I linked to earlier and it doesn't work then the most likely issues are:

1. You have APN type = default,mms,supl and it doesn't work in which case try changing this to APN type = * (or vice versa) 

and/or

2. You have Authentication type set to something (e.g. PAP, CHAP etc) in which case make sure that you clear this so that it's not set to anything (e.g. none, not set, blank etc.).

Hope this helps.

Did that help at all?

Sorry for the delay.

Problem solved...by me breaking the phone at work.  Thus proving my original post! 

Back to the brick Nokia for now.

Cheers

Tim

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend
Oh dear. Sorry to hear that...