cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No 3G only 2G(edge)

jasonm95
Visitor

I got a new phone for christmas, signed up for guido plan, all internet settings are correct, my phone will connect to 2G, when I switch to 3G my phone loses signal9coverage) and when I switch back to 2G everything is fine again. I'm not sure whether it is a problem on 48's side or my phone 

24 REPLIES 24

1amcn
Rock Star

Hi

It's actually probably neither 🙂

Basically 48 is an MVNO mobile virtual network operator & contrary to a lot of opinion
- it is not owned by 02!
However - it runs off the 02 Network - this is the signal we receive while on 48.
If you are only picking up Edge... You might be in a poor 02 signal area, or far from your local mast.

You can search online for Mast details easily - but if 02 reception is generally poor were you are...then I'm afraid there is little to be done.

🙂

thanks, have only gotten a chance to test data at my own house, if I am in any town in the next few days will test it there aswell.

When you say you switch from 2G to 3G how exactly are you doing this on your phone?

If 3G is enabled then normally it will fall back to 2G anyway if necessary.

I often see my signal bar indicator varying between H+, H, 3G and E depending on what it can manage at any point in time.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

Thanks. On some phone operating systems 2G means just that - 2G and 3G means 3G (or better) OR 2G if necessary. On others 3G means 3G or nothing. Maybe that's the case with your setup?

What phone and operating system version is it?

As mentioned above it may simply be a coverage issue where the 3G(+) signal is weak and only 2G works well.

It's difficult to tell without more info.

Hope this helps.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

Its a nexus 4

What version of Android?

Jellybean or Kitkat?

Just wonder if something like this is relevant?

http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Help-Support/Nexus-4-4-4-Kitkat-update-2g-3g-toggle/td-p/10803717

Hope this helps.

running kitkat 4.4.2 

however I do have slimkat rom installed..that could be the issue, had the rom installed before I got membership...

Sometimes the carrier data mode toggle can be configured to allow for some or all of 2G, 3G, 2G+3G etc. See if that's possible in you ROM.