Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: No service abroad

Anon
‎26-10-2014 03:22 PM
have same problem i am abroad and there is no signal???
Posted from Apple iPad
0 Likes

[ Edited ]
The Legend
‎26-10-2014 05:31 PM

Where? What country? 48 doesn't support roaming in all countries. Just most of the EU (possibly excluding Romania), rest of Europe, North America and Oceania (Oz and NZ). If you are in any of these regions then try scanning for networks and see what networks you can see. If you don't see any and are on an iPhone then you may need at least 25c cash credit on your account to allow the iPhone to activate on a new network. You may also need to sync with iTunes as not all versions of iOS can do this activation without such a sync.

Hope this helps.

I am not a 48 employee so if you need to contact 48 support then use option 3 or the chat facility here.
0 Likes

Hot Rod
‎27-10-2014 07:07 AM
I just got back from 2 weeks in Spain and had exactly the same issue as rkennedy above. No signal, phone constantly searching. Couldn't use my prepaid credit (*Ahem refund*). Very frustrating. Between this and lack of data support I'm considering swapping provider before going abroad again.
Posted from Apple iPhone
4 Likes

The Legend
‎27-10-2014 02:30 PM
Did you have a valid membership?
Did a network scan show any networks?
Was it an iPhone which might need activation on a new network as mentioned above?
Did you contact support about this at the time?

I am not a 48 employee so if you need to contact 48 support then use option 3 or the chat facility here.
Posted from Generic Android 4.1
0 Likes

Hot Rod
‎27-10-2014 02:53 PM

Hi Van Wilder,

Yes, I had a valid membership and it would occassionally find a network, but it wouldnt hold it for more than a few seconds. I was in a populated area and everyone I was with who wasnt on 48 didn't have any problems.

Yes, it is an iPhone 5. I actually only have 1cent credit showing on my account, but when I bought international minutes in advance of my trip I didnt see any information on needing additional credit available.

Thanks. 

0 Likes

The Legend
‎27-10-2014 03:10 PM
OK if you got a network intermittently and could make calls etc but otherwise it didn't work then I don't understand what the problem was. You should contact 48 support about it and ask then if you're entitled to any refund/compensation.

Hope this helps.

0 Likes

Hot Rod
‎27-10-2014 03:36 PM

Hi, thanks.

I did get network intermitently but it was really just for 2 or 3 seconds and then I wouldnt get it again for a few minutes. I couldnt make or receive any calls. 

0 Likes

The Legend
‎27-10-2014 04:21 PM
OK in that case it's possible that the iPhone needed activation on a new network. That would have required at least 25c cash credit and possibly a sync with iTunes unless a recent version of iOS was in use. This is an issue with iPhones on certain networks. It's mentioned several times here but not specifically in the roaming section. Maybe it should be. Anyway contact 48 support and explain the issue to them and maybe ask for a refund on add-ons etc that you were unable to use...

Hope this helps.

0 Likes

Summer abroad

Average Joe
‎12-05-2015 07:12 PM
Hi I'm going away to America for the summer so I won't be using my Irish 48 number for 3 months. I'm currently on the standard deal. Just wondering if it'll get cancelled if I don't buy membership for 3 months? Thanks!
Posted from Apple iPhone
0 Likes

Re: Summer abroad

The Legend
‎12-05-2015 10:54 PM

Bear in mind that you can use your 48 SIM while in the US:

http://community.48months.ie/t5/Need-Help/Going-to-Florida-can-i-use-my-sim-in-there/m-p/34897#M1294...

But if you don't use it for 3 months then it won't be cancelled and you can just buy membership again when you return. You have to let it lapse for 6 months before it gets suspended and even longer before there's any danger of losing the number etc.

http://www.48months.ie/boiler-plate/terms#8

Hope this helps.

0 Likes

Announcements
If you haven't already registered, now is a good time to do so. Register now >>
Order a free SIM
Earn some extra credit or cash with MatesRates!
Unlock your phone
Ask the community