cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hotspot issues

Anon
Not applicable
I have the Mitch plan, and I'm using a Galaxy S2. I have full connectivity on the 4G network, yet can't get my hotspot to work. Whenever I go to connect, it says "mobile network unavailable or invalid SIM." I just activated the SIM a few days ago, but any ideas about what's wrong?
9 REPLIES 9

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend

I don't see how you can have full connectivity on the 4G netwok when 48 doesn't support 4G?

Not sure about your hotspot/tethering issue. Google throws up some discussion but no obvious solution that I can see.

You might need to contact 48 support about this:

How to get help

Hope this helps.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

Anon
Not applicable
Hm, well it switches between 4G and E next to my bars for reception. I am using a phone from the States, so maybe that has something to do with it. I'll check in with 48... Thanks

I'm not aware of 48 supporting 4G.

When you get 4G on the signal bars what does it say under System settings > About phone > Status > Mobile network type?

I'm not sure that this necessarily has anything to do with tethering problems.

Hope this helps.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

Anon
Not applicable
UMTS:3

UMTS is 3G not 4G as far as I know.

E.g. see here:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s4/282915-umts-vs-hspa.html#post2813285

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Mobile_Telecommunications_System

Hope this helps.

Anon
Not applicable

Well that's interesting.  Either way, my icon at the top of the screen says 4G. 

I discovered that by downloading a separate app I'm able to enable the hotspot.  Interestingly, I have no problem using it at my apartment, and connectivity is great.  However, when I'm at work, my same laptop will either not show the network, or not be able to connect to it.

Anon
Not applicable
as far as I know, 48 don't actually support the use of hotspots as it uses too much data, should you be using a laptop or something similar.

as for the 4G connectivity, i had been using a Sony Experia Z1, and had no luck connecting at a 4G speed.

If the phone is saying that you're getting 4G on 48 then I think that's simply a mistake in how the phone identifies the network data protocol or something.

The 48 terms and conditions do preclude the use of the SIM for tethering or in a wireless modem etc. but on the other hand 48 support staff have previously posted here saying that they don't clamp down on this unless the fair usage limits are breached. And since there is no "uncapped" data bundle/add-on I don't think that you can really breach the fair usage limits with it comes to data.

Hope this helps.

Anon
Not applicable

I know that's what they say, but what's the point of offering a plan with 15gb of data then?