cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone tethering with iOS7

s3923
Visitor

Hi. I've been using the Person Hotspot feature (a.k.a WiFi tethering) with my iPhone 4 on 48 for a long time. I know the Ts & Cs don't allow it, but 48 seem to have "unofficially" supported it. Then I upgraded from iOS6 to iOS7 and tethering stopped working. There are lots of threads on other sites about how Apple decided to knobble users and carriers who don't have official agreements with them about tethering. I wish I'd seen any of them before I upgraded. Apparently Apple feel justified in killing features on your carrier unlocked phone, which you paid for. Anyway, in the forlorn hope that this is just a hiccup and that iPhone tethering is still semi-supported with 48 under iOS7, I thought I'd check if anyone has any experience of this issue. I have tried the "fixes" recommended on various sites, to no avail.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I also seem to have gotten over my problem. I followed the thread here, and the Apple thread it links to here. Someone there mentioned doing an iTunes update of the iPhone. I updated both the phone and my iPad to iOS 7.1.2 and everything seems to be back in order. Speedtest from my laptop over iPhone hotspot:

3760642883[1].png

Similar on iPad at 2.7 Mbps.

The thing that changed on the iPhone was that the Personal Hotspot APN settings under Settings/Cellular Data Network, which previously showed no APN number and also could not be set, now shows the normal 48 settings of 48months.liffeytelecom.com.

Let's hope it keeps on working -- it's the end of the road for iPhone4 OS upgrades since it won't take the iOS8 update due out this month.

View solution in context

7 REPLIES 7

s3923
Visitor

Just bumping this ... anyone have tethering working on iPhone 4 under iOS7?

s3923
Visitor
Anyone? Anyone got tethering working on any iPhone model under iOS7 ?

I've never had a problem tethering on ios 7 on my 5S. Since I updated to ios8 I've lost the option completely. Any solutions? I didn't think 48 had a problem with it.

Forget the last message, I got the tethering working on ios8 by simply filling in the internet settings in the settings-mobile-mobile data network section and it appeared again as it always was in ios7.

I also seem to have gotten over my problem. I followed the thread here, and the Apple thread it links to here. Someone there mentioned doing an iTunes update of the iPhone. I updated both the phone and my iPad to iOS 7.1.2 and everything seems to be back in order. Speedtest from my laptop over iPhone hotspot:

3760642883[1].png

Similar on iPad at 2.7 Mbps.

The thing that changed on the iPhone was that the Personal Hotspot APN settings under Settings/Cellular Data Network, which previously showed no APN number and also could not be set, now shows the normal 48 settings of 48months.liffeytelecom.com.

Let's hope it keeps on working -- it's the end of the road for iPhone4 OS upgrades since it won't take the iOS8 update due out this month.

Arsebagger - I am trying to get my iPhone5's (ios8.4.1) personal hotspot working using 48's recommended APN settings.  Did you get yours working?

@limborock wrote:

Arsebagger - I am trying to get my iPhone5's (ios8.4.1) personal hotspot working using 48's recommended APN settings.  Did you get yours working?

http://community.48months.ie/t5/Need-Help/How-do-i-create-a-personal-hotspot-on-my-iphone/m-p/38003#...

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.