cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

texts

Anon
Not applicable
Why will my texts not send to people it keeps telling me my texts won't be sent until my packet data is on then I turn it on it doesn't work and my internet doesn't work either and I only topped up today
7 REPLIES 7

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend

What is the exact error message?
A screenshot would be ideal if possible.

Are you sure that you're not sending MMS messages (e.g. with pictures, emojiis etc.) and not SMS text messages?

The former require a data connection - the latter do not.

Did your data ever work?

You need to check that your internet/APN settings are correctly configured:

http://community.48months.ie/t5/Need-Help/Internet/m-p/34493#M12560

Hope this helps.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

Any update?

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

Anon
Not applicable
I think I figured it out it won't let me send paragraphs or some which is stupid cause I'm supposed to have unlimited texts but its coming up as a multimedia message when I click the message details . and my packet data still isn't working

What exactly do you mean by paragraphs here?

You mean you enter some text and then hit "return" to space out the next bit?

Can you post a screenshot of an example?

What messaging client are you using?

Some will convert SMS to MMS automatically when certain conditions are met - e.g. pictures or other multimedia attached (obviously), "long" texts that would require more than one or more SMS messages, emojiis, other "special" content etc.

Some will provide options for controlling if/when this happens.

This is purely a local issue and nothing to do with 48 per se.

If the messaging client that you use does not allow better control over this then you can always install a 3rd party messaging client and use that instead.

I use Textra (free) and find it good but there are lots of others out there.

Remember that MMS messages cost 30c each and need a data connection on the sending and receiving ends.

Hope this helps.

Anon
Not applicable
Not even paragraphs just a couple of sentences in a text
That's what i m trying to say im not trying to send a MMS its just coning up like that !! I should be able to write a couple of sentences without it causing me problems I only got it yesterday and its acting the bollox and I don't know how to post a screenshot here

As I said some messaging clients automatically convert "long" SMS messages to MMS.

"Long" can mean longer than a single SMS (160 characters - or even fewer if extended/accented characters are used etc.) or longer than a few SMS messages (e.g. 3 seems to be a common one).

It really depends on the app.

Your messaging client app may have options for controlling this conversion or to warn you when it's happening.

As I said I use Textra and never have a problem with MMS getting sent instead of SMS.

I can't remember if I tweaked the default to settings to avoid this issue or if it worked like that out of the box.

I've also used Handcent in the past and I think that it also had options to control this sort of stuff.

But there are lots of other messaging clients out there apart from these.

Just to reiterate this is an issue with your phone/messaging client app and not 48.

Hope this helps.

Edit: this earlier thread covers similar ground:

http://community.48months.ie/t5/Need-Help/sms-converting-to-mms/td-p/38780

And this might also be of interest but only if your phone is rooted, you know what Xposed is and you are willing to install it and this module.

http://repo.xposed.info/module/uk.co.villainrom.pulser.allowlongsms

Did that help at all?