cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with iPhone - SIM not supported

elestel
Visitor

Hi,
I smashed my iPhone screen today. My friend gave me his old iPhone which I reset and erased. I'm trying to set it up now with my info but it's saying that it doesn't support my 48 sim. Can you adv what I need to do please?
Thanks
Lou

*edited subject line to match the conversation*

23 REPLIES 23

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend

All I can suggest is trying another operator's SIM in it (e.g. borrow one from somebody for a quick check) to make sure that the phone itself is working.
If it is and the 48 SIM still doesn't work then you could try a replacement SIM but I doubt that will make a difference since your current SIM works in your old phone.
Other than that all I can suggest is that you contact 48 support and see if they can suggest anything.
Unfortunately iPhones are notoriously difficult to use on some networks due to the stupid way that Apple do things and the restrictions that they put in the way of owners using them as they like.

By the way do you know if your friend got this phone unlocked and, if so, how - e.g. officially by Vodafone or unofficially using jailbreak or the like?

Hope this helps.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

elestel
Visitor
Tried a Lyca mobile sim in it and it worked.
My friend didn't get it unlocked, apparently it was never locked.
Thanks for all your help but at this stage I'm ready to just give up now!

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend

Ok if a Lyca SIM works then it isn't locked.
Try the 48 SIM again.
Make sure to gently clean the SIM contacts and make sure that it's sitting correctly in the SIM tray.
Power on and see if you get the error again.
If you do then power off and on again and try again.
When you get the error can you get to the settings to manually scan for networks?
If you can what do you see?

Can you see and connect to 48?
If it still doesn't work can you try a factory reset and see if that helps?
Can you try a sync with iTunes and see if that helps?

You may want to do this anyway in order to backup your old phone and then restore it to this one?
Otherwise you may need to contact 48 support to see if they can suggest anything else.

Hope this helps.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

Some other questions.

1. What model is your own (now broken) iPhone?
  2. What model is the version that you got from your friend?
  3. What version of iOS is each running?
  4. Was your 48 SIM ever manually cut to size to fit the iPhone?

Hope this helps.