cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
74% helpful (34/46)
Admin48
Crew (retired)
Crew (retired)

When you join 48, your voicemail is automatically "switched on." There’s just a few extra steps required to activate your voicemail, depending on what your preference is.

There are 4 options available for you to customise your voicemail...

• Option 1: When you don’t answer your call within number of seconds, i.e., default ring time is 15 seconds.
  • Option 2: When your phone is unreachable (out of coverage or switched off).
  • Option 3: When your phone is busy (you’re on another call, you can’t answer, or you reject the call).
  • Option 4: All of the above.

Just a heads up: When customising your voicemail, the process will involve inputting some codes into your phone as if you’re making a call. The good news, is that they're free 😊. Alternatively, you can set up your voicemail through your handset settings, just refer to your handset user guide.

Your Voicemail Number

When using the below codes, you will need to put your mobile number in its international format:

• Use ‘00353’ before your number
  • Drop the ‘0’ at the beginning of your phone number
  • You’ll also need to add a ‘5’ after the 89/87/86/85/83 prefix.

Example: If your phone number is 0891234567, then your voicemail number will be 003538951234567. 

How do I set up my voicemail?

Quick guide

Voicemail .png

Below is a step-by-step guide of what you need to do for each of the above options, should you need it.  

Option One: Not answered after ring time

• To set up: Dial *61* followed by your voicemail number, followed by #, and press call.
  • To cancel: Dial #61# and press call.
  • Check status: Dial *#61# and press call.

Example: To set up this option when your phone number is 0891234567, dial *61*003538951234567# and press call

Option Two: Out of reach

• To set up: Dial *62* followed by your voicemail number, followed by #, and press call
  • To cancel: Dial #62# and press call
  • To check status: Dial *#62# and press call.

Example: To set up this option when your phone number is 0891234567, dial **62*003538951234567# and press call.

Option Three: Busy

• To Set up: Dial *67* followed by your voicemail number, followed by #, and press call.
  • To cancel: Dial ##67# and press call.
  • To check status: Dial *#67# and press call.

Example: To set up this option when your phone number is 0891234567, then dial **67*003538951234567# and press call.

Option 4: All of the above

• To set up: Dial *004* followed by your voicemail number, followed by #, and press call.
  • To cancel this: Dial #004# and press call.
  • To check status: Dial *#004# and press call.

Example: To set up this option when your phone number is 0891234567, dial *004* 003538951234567# and press call.

How do I switch voicemail on/off? 

You can switch off your voicemail by dialing 172 or enter the above short codes for the preference you’ve set up.  If you’re not sure of which option you originally switched on, then enter #004# to check the status.

Just a heads up: When you have "switched off"/cancelled voicemail, it stops all calls going to your voicemail, i.e., when you don’t answer a call, etc. However, if you call your voicemail inbox directly, it will still be available, but by cancelling voicemail, it means no one can leave you a voicemail message.

How do I record a voicemail greeting?

1. Dial 172
  2. Select option 3 – Personal Options
  3. Then option 3 – Change greeting.
  4. Then option 1 – Record a greeting.
  5. Then select 1 to confirm once you are done.

How do I change my voicemail PIN?

To change you voicemail PIN, just dial 173 from your mobile.
This means that if you ever need to access your voicemail from another phone/landline you’ll be able to enter this PIN and your voicemail will be protected from other people accessing it.

I've forgotten my voicemail PIN, what now?

If you forget your voicemail PIN, you’ll need to get in touch with 48 Customer Care, here. They can reset your PIN and get you back up and running.

Can I check my voicemail from another phone?

Yes, to access your voicemail from any other phone, just dial 0894800171.You'll be asked to enter your mobile phone number and your voicemail PIN. You can then listen to your voicemail.

How much does it cost to use my voicemail? 

While in the Republic of Ireland: calling your voicemail is included as part of your plan minutes.

Outside the Republic of Ireland: If you’re in the EU, calls to check your voicemail are free, as these are covered from your call allowance. If you are outside the EU, you’ll be charged at standard roaming prices.

How do I change the timing of when my voicemail picks up a call?

You can increase the time your phone rings from 5 to 30 seconds, or in multiples of 5 seconds. The default ringing time is 15 seconds.

Just dial the following on your mobile: *#61*(Voicemail number) **(number of seconds you want your ring time to be)# and call.

Example: if your number is 0891234567 and you want set your ring time to 30 seconds then enter, **61*003538951234567**30# & press call.

Was this article helpful? Yes No
Version history
Last update:
‎09-02-2024 03:17 PM
Updated by: