Members

Highlighted
Hot Rod
Accepted Solution

Roaming texts

I had 80 out of 100 roaming texts left that I had bought when in Spain in Dec...but couldn't send a text today....so I bought more in case the fact that I had bought them in Spain...was the problem...but I STILL cannnot send a text to Europe....what am I doing wrong? Is it a phone setting problem?
Posted from Apple iPhone
The Legend

Re: Roaming texts

If you're trying to send a text to Europe then EU roaming text add-ons are no use.

They are for sending texts while YOU are roaming abroad in the EU.

They're no use when you're here in Ireland.

To send international texts you need cash credit to cover the cost - 25c each.

http://www.48months.ie/membership-plans/international-calls

Hope this helps.

If this answers your question then please mark your question as solved - see here.
The Legend

Did that help at all?

If this answers your question then please mark your question as solved - see here.
Hot Rod

Thanks for that...it's just that I buy roaming texts regularly as I'm back and forth a lot and I am almost positive it worked from here to Spain before...but I must have been mistaken...
Posted from Apple iPhone
The Legend

[ Edited ]

You probably had cash credit to pay for the international texts before.

EU roaming texts definitely only work when YOU are roaming abroad.

I guess the only way that they'd work from Ireland is if you were roaming on a UK network near the NI border?

Note that there's no advantage in buying the EU roaming text add-ons now that paying from your cash credit balance is the same price (2c per SMS) and you don't run the risk of paying for an allowance that you don't get use up!

Hope this helps.

Hot Rod

Don't fully understand...do I not need to buy roaming texts when abroad if my phone is in credit? How do I ensure I can text abroad from here when I come back ?
Posted from Apple iPhone
The Legend

[ Edited ]

No - you don't have to buy EU roaming add-ons to use services while roaming in the EU. 

When roaming in the EU you can buy an EU roaming texts add-on for €2 which gives you 100 outgoing SMS messages.

That's 2c per message.

But you can still send messages while roaming in the EU if you just have cash credit and no EU roaming text add-on - again it costs 2c per SMS message so there's no price penalty.

So there's no advantage in buying the EU roaming texts add-on anymore.

There used to be in the past when the add-on gave an effective cost per SMS lower than paying from your cash credit balance.

In fact there is a disadvantage in buying the add-on if you end up not using the full 100 texts - you have paid for something that you haven't used and paying from your cash credit balance would mean only paying for the texts that you actually send.

http://www.48months.ie/membership-plans/going-abroad

(As ever to use any services while abroad you also need an active membership and a connection to a local network).

Hope this helps.

Hot Rod

So if I'm in a bar with wifi....then I have free texts....and calls?????
Posted from Apple iPhone
The Legend

[ Edited ]

No. Wifi has nothing to do with calls and texts.

If you are in Spain and have no EU roaming texts and a connection to a local phone network then you can send texts and make/receive calls if you have cash credit to pay for these services.(Receiving texts is always free).

See here for details of the costs:

http://www.48months.ie/membership-plans/going-abroad

As I mentioned there is no cost benefit to buying an EU roaming texts add-on versus paying for the texts that you send from your cash credit balance. In fact there may be a disadvantage if you don't use up the full 100 texts that the add-on gives you.

There is a marginal benefit in buying an EU roaming calls add-on and whether it is more cost effective than just paying for incoming and outgoing calls from your cash credit balance depends on your specific usage.

Personally I don't bother buying EU roaming add-ons anymore and just add some cash credit to pay for roaming outgoing texts and incoming/outgoing calls when abroad in the EU.

Hope this helps.

The Legend

Did that help at all?

Hot Rod

I can't send texts to Spain now and I have credit in my phone....it doesn't work when I buy texts here either...I just bought extra the other day...

..but when I buy them in Spain they work....sooo confusing!
Posted from Apple iPhone
The Legend

[ Edited ]

What do you mean by "credit" above?

Cash credit is the key thing here.

There is no point in buying "regular" or EU roaming text add-ons in this situation.

An EU roaming text add-on will definitely not let you send text messages to Spanish numbers when you are in Ireland.

If you are in Ireland and have cash credit then you should be able to send texts to Spain if you use the correct international number format (e.g. +34 7XX XXX XXX or similar).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_numbers_in_Spain#History

In case it's relevant 48 don't support MMS messages to international mobile numbers.

And some messaging apps will convert long text messages (e.g. those that would take 2-3 or more SMS messages) into MMS automatically.

If I am missing/misunderstanding anything then please post back to clarify.

If you still can't get it working then you may need to contact 48 support:

http://www.48months.ie/help#contact-us

Hope this helps.

Hot Rod

Sorry to be such a muppet!!! What is cash credit? 

Posted from Apple iPad
The Legend

It's the amount of cash on your account as opposed to membership and add-ons and the allowances that they give you.

Cash credit is listed at the bottom of the your My 48 account page on the website under "Account credit".

In the app is listed as "Your balance".

Some people refer to membership and add-ons as "credit" which confuses matters.

You need cash credit on your account in order to pay for international texts and some other services not covered by membership/add-on allowances.

Hope this helps.

Posted from Xiaomi Note 3
Hot Rod

Thanks!!!!! I had no idea!!!

Posted from Apple iPad
Cast your vote!
Help choose a colour for the new Knowledgebase!