cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texts

eithneangela
Newcomer
I hate 48months. I'm in New Zealand, can't send or receive texts to New Zealand mobile. Can't wait till my contract is up.
12 REPLIES 12

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend

Should work as they support roaming in Oceania (Australia & New Zealand).

Note that you need an active membership to use any services and you also need cash credit to send texts and make or receive calls.

http://www.48months.ie/membership-plans/going-abroad

Are you getting a connection to a local network? 

What make and model of phone do you have?

What do you mean by "contract" above?

There are no contracts with 48.

You buy monthly membership but can leave at any time even within a membership month.

Hope this helps.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

Did that help at all?

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

Hi

Tx for response. I have Vodafone Ultra Smart 7 phone. I have complete my profile as far as I know.

Rgds

Eithne

@eithneangela1 wrote:

I have complete my profile as far as I know.

I don't understand what you mean.

And you haven't addressed some of the other questions that I asked.

One way or another roaming should work in NZ once you have membership, cash credit to cover the relevant services (not that data will not work as 48 don't support it at all when roaming abroad) and a connection to a local network.

So you should be able to receive texts (for free) and send texts (as long as you have cash credit to cover the relevant costs).

If you are still having problems then you might want to contact 48 support directly:

http://www.48months.ie/help#contact-us

Hope this helps.

Sorry. Have credit. Have connection to local service. Have received texts from Ireland.

So the problem is that you cannot receive texts from a NZ phone/number?

In that case are they sure that they're using the correct number format (e.g. +353 89 1234567) and their network allows them to send international texts? 

Also are they regular SMS messages and not MMS/picture messages?

You will not be able to receive MMS messages because they (normally) require a data connection which you will not have while roaming abroad using a 48 SIM (in rare cases MMS messages can be received over wifi but normally that's not possible).

Sounds to me like the problem might be at the sender's end and not due to anything under control of 48?

Hope this helps.

I'll check this out and revert.

Ok. I'm using SMS to sent text to NZ mobile, with the correct format including country code. This number works for Whatsapp and Viber. The NZ mobile is trying to text me using the correct format including the Ireland country code. Failure to send SMS from my phone and for me to receive SMS from NZ phone, so problem still exists.

Are you 100% sure that it's an SMS that you're sending?

Remember that many messaging apps will convert "long" SMS messages into MMS automatically.

What is the number format that you are using?

What error do you get when it fails to send?

How much cash credit do you have (dial *100# to check or else check your My 48 account online)?

What error does the NZ sender get when they try to send you an SMS?

As mentioned above you might want to contact 48 support in the meantime anyway in case the issue cannot be resolved here on the community forum.

Hope this helps.