Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Three Phones & 48months Sim

Average Joe
‎07-10-2015 02:54 PM
Hi, As 48months is now owned and operated by Three, if I buy a new Three phone will my SIM work without unlocking the phone?
0 Likes

Re: Three Phones & 48months Sim

Crew Member (retired)
‎07-10-2015 04:14 PM

@stephfitz wrote:
Hi, As 48months is now owned and operated by Three, if I buy a new Three phone will my SIM work without unlocking the phone?

Although we are now owned by Three we are still run as a separate entity. Three phones are still locked so they can only be used on the Three network.

There are still two separate networks running. There is the Three network and the ex O2 network both of which are owned by Three.

So although 48 is owned by Three we still run off that old O2 network. The work has started to combine both networks into the one super network but that will take a bit of time.

Three phones won't work on 48 until they are unlocked.

If this help please accept as a solution.

Damian

0 Likes

Anon
‎07-10-2015 05:40 PM

I appreciate that it will take time, but is the plan now for 48 users to get 4g as a result of this merger

0 Likes
Highlighted

Crew Member (retired)
‎07-10-2015 07:37 PM

@thebird wrote:

I appreciate that it will take time, but is the plan now for 48 users to get 4g as a result of this merger

I know there is a desire within 48 to go this way.  How far off or what difficulties we face getting there I do not know.

0 Likes

Average Joe
‎20-10-2015 07:55 AM

No

@stephfitz wrote:

No

Posted from Apple iPad
0 Likes

Average Joe
‎30-10-2015 04:26 PM
So. An I get free caLs to three
Posted from Apple iPhone
0 Likes

The Legend
‎30-10-2015 06:09 PM
Membership and add-on mobile minutes allowances cover calls to all Irish mobile networks.

I am not a 48 employee so if you need to contact 48 support then use option 3 or the chat facility here.
Posted from Micromax A310
0 Likes

Coach
‎16-03-2016 09:18 AM

I think I may have my answer here but need to double check.  I have a sim free phone unlocked from China Samsung Gs6 Active.  I think it will not work on the 3 network but it should do on the O2 network.  So can I assume it will be ok since you still run off the old o2 network?

0 Likes

[ Edited ]
The Legend
‎16-03-2016 09:37 AM

The fact that 48 operated on O2 and now 3 networks is irrelevant here.

A SIM free/unlocked phone will work on any network - including 48.

You must have an unlocked phone for it to work on 48.

The only potential issue with China phones (which I buy myself) is that they must support the local network standard (e.g. W-CDMA and not the China specific TD-SCDMA) and local frequencies.

Hope this helps.

I am not a 48 employee so if you need to contact 48 support then use option 3 or the chat facility here.
0 Likes

Coach
‎16-03-2016 09:40 AM

that greatly helps! Thank you

0 Likes

Announcements
If you haven't already registered, now is a good time to do so. Register now >>
Order a free SIM
Earn some extra credit or cash with MatesRates!
Unlock your phone
Ask the community