cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using phone abroad

strawberryfields
Newcomer
Hi, In the last week I have moved to America for a year studying. My iPhone was bought from the Apple Store in Chicago unlocked at Christmas. I am with 48 in Ireland but wanted to buy a prepaid SIM card while in America. The company I went to in America said my phone was not unlocked and that the network I was with had home had locked my phone? Could you be of assistance to clarify this situation? Thanks
3 REPLIES 3

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend

If it's working on 48 then it must be unlocked.
It wouldn't work on 48 if it wasn't.

Try a different provider/shop as this one sounds like they don't know what they're talking about.

Hope this helps.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support then please click here - if the Chat Now option does not appear on that page then keep trying until it does.

strawberryfields
Newcomer
Ya the phone was bought new in the Apple Store on purpose so it would be unlocked for 48 and for when I came over here so yes I might try a different provider, thanks.

If it was bought unlocked for use on any network then it makes little sense that this company is telling you that it's locked.

In the absence of any reason for them saying this it sounds like they don't know what they're talking about.

Is it a small store or a bg operator?

Did you tell them that it was bought unlocked and has been used on an Irish network that requires unlocked phones?

Keep us posted on how you get on if you try elsewhere.

Hope this helps.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support then please click here - if the Chat Now option does not appear on that page then keep trying until it does.