Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

What frequency is used for voice calls

Coach
‎03-06-2018 12:29 AM
Hello,
Currently having problems with phone calls going directly to voicemail even when phone shows signal bars. 2 phones are affected in our house, redmi 3s and Moto g 3rd gen.
I identified rufly areas in the house where signal is lowest using network cell info lite and rssi dBm is going to -115 in affected areas.
I started at looking into signal boosters with external antenna that is positioned in place where the signal is strongest and signal replicator with internall antenna. Prices are a bit too high for 4g LTE frequencies so I started looking into how phones work and learned that for voice calls network redirectors work and point to specific network type example, you are on 4g or LTE and network notifies that somebody is trying to reach you and you need to change to 2g.
After doing some thinking i said I better get signal booster for 2g only which is cheaper and I use WiFi at home so no mobile data is necessary so no point getting 4g LTE etc.
But I would like to know what frequency booster should I be getting for voice calls and what is 48 months redirecting to for voice calls 2g, 3g or if you are on 4g LTE uses voice over LTE. Alternatively please provide the ways of finding it out myself using some apps and steps.
I hope I am not offending anyone with this post.
Posted from Xiaomi Redmi 3S
0 Likes

Re: What frequency is used for voice calls

The Legend
‎03-06-2018 01:52 AM
I'm not sure that signal boosters are legal in Ireland.
You should check before buying one.
For what it's worth 48 currently doesn't support 4G/LTE at all.
You probably need to ask 48 support about your specific question.

Hope this helps.

I am not a 48 employee so if you need to contact 48 support then use option 3 or the chat facility here.
Posted from Xiaomi Redmi Note 3
0 Likes

Coach
‎03-06-2018 09:58 AM
Thank you for your post dalyer the Legend I will ask support and update this post once I have some information
0 Likes

The Legend
‎04-06-2018 12:35 PM

Did you get anywhere with this @cakebuster?

I am not a 48 employee so if you need to contact 48 support then use option 3 or the chat facility here.
0 Likes

Coach
‎04-06-2018 06:40 PM
Hello dalyer, support got back to me advising that repeaters are not supported and that I will have to not use it in case of any problems which is fair enough but I am still waiting for confirmation what frequency is used for voice as support mentioned 900 and 1800 is used in Ireland but never got back to me confirming which one exactly.
I did my own research at night with network cell info lite and the amount of towers around my area is in 10's the only problem in my case is our estate in kind of hole in the ground, at least I think it maybe the issue with reaching some towers. I was moving to different places around the Newcastle and was turning on air plane mode and turning it off and seeing what tower is the phone connects to depending on place I am in.
I am not too sure if it is the signal that is issue or the phone deciding to jump to another tower for some reason, I would like to know how this decision is governed but it is definitely controlled by provider and whatever info is phone supplying to them.
I would love to get a directional antenna pointed in direction of tower and have big distance between internal antenna and external so that the same signal would not kill each other and see if that solves the problem but I have to find another property to live in as landlord is selling the house, so for the moment I would like to find out how provider manages change of tower process, I may or may not need to do it in new place ,but at the moment it is a huge struggle to find the property in my circumstances.
0 Likes

[ Edited ]
The Legend
‎04-06-2018 06:51 PM

According to https://willmyphonework.net 48 use 900MHz and 1800MHz for 2G and 2100MHz for 3G.

Hope this helps.

0 Likes

Coach
‎04-06-2018 06:52 PM
Forgot to add a few findings:
When you connect to 3g , voice is transmitted over UMTS and data over HSPA.
When you are connected to 2g or edge, GSM is used for voice and EDGE for data.
In my case 2g tower is furthest away but not sure why my phone is connecting to 2 g when 3g is also available at a bit weaker signal. Hope to get some answers from support which may not be sufficient enough for them to look into.
0 Likes

Coach
‎04-06-2018 06:54 PM
But when choosing repeater you need to choose either 900 or 1800 as the ones that support all are a bit too pricey but thank you for your input!
0 Likes

The Legend
‎04-06-2018 06:57 PM

@cakebuster wrote:
Forgot to add a few findings:
When you connect to 3g , voice is transmitted over UMTS and data over HSPA.

Not always - data can be transmitted on HSPA, HSPA+ or HSDPA depending on various factors.

0 Likes

Coach
‎04-06-2018 06:58 PM
I should have read your post thinking about my reply more carefully, best option probably just to get 2100 and point at cell tower that has best signal for 3g
0 Likes

Announcements
If you haven't already registered, now is a good time to do so. Register now >>
Order a free SIM
Earn some extra credit or cash with MatesRates!
Unlock your phone
Ask the community