Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: What frequency is used for voice calls

The Legend
‎04-06-2018 07:01 PM

@cakebuster wrote:
I am not too sure if it is the signal that is issue or the phone deciding to jump to another tower for some reason, I would like to know how this decision is governed but it is definitely controlled by provider and whatever info is phone supplying to them.

As far as I know the phone can decide to hunt for towers itself - this is not "definitely" (only) controlled by the network operator.

If you need to understand exactly how mobile networks operate then I'm pretty sure that there are lots of resources available online.

Hope this helps.

I am not a 48 employee so if you need to contact 48 support then use option 3 or the chat facility here.
0 Likes

Coach
‎04-06-2018 07:07 PM
As far as I remember UMTS is used for voice when data is used by HSPA but it all depends what band , and UMTS I think is in 900 MHz so yeah it is interesting to know what frequency is used by 48 for voice when connected to 2 g or 3g.
You are correct that I can be looking on internet anything about anything but I prefer to set my focus on specific areas in specific places rather than searching for needle in the haystack.
Posted from Xiaomi Redmi 3S
0 Likes

Coach
‎06-06-2018 08:30 AM
I read first reply from 48 support and I think I did not read it properly or detailed enough. William pointed out frequencies used for 2 g 900 and 1800 and for 3g 21000. I am sorry for so many different replies I am just on many drugs for my head so please excuse me.
I am going to find out how to force using 3 g as I can change prefer 2 g but I want to set 3g only and not prefer 3g as it jumps to 2g even in strong 3 g areas but I can only do it when dialing #*#*4636#*#* and change network to wcdma only. I will do this research myself at some time online and will update this post but it does not need to be updated by anyone,I just want to keep notes for myself and hopefully somebody finds it useful as well. Below is first reply from support and William is very good at it. I will put it in separate post
0 Likes

Coach
‎06-06-2018 08:32 AM

William @ the 48 care crew, Jun 3, 14:04 IST:
Hi Oleg

Thanks for getting in contact with us,

All phones in Ireland use the bands of 900 MHz and 1800 MHz, Now in regards to repeaters I would have no idea as we were never trained on them and they would not be something that we would support ourselves, We would turn a blind eye to any customer who uses these but if there was a problem then we would have to insist that the repeater be removed for any tests as they would cause conflicts,

Sounds like a Coverage, Phone or Sim Issue from what you are describing there so can I get your full address with Eircode so I can check for problems on our side ?

For anything else, check out our community at http://community.48months.ie/

Speak soon!

William @ the 48 care crew
Go conquer
0 Likes

Coach
‎06-06-2018 08:36 AM

0 Likes

Coach
‎06-06-2018 08:37 AM
William @ the 48 care crew, Jun 3, 17:32 IST:
Hi Oleg

Thanks for getting back to me.

GSM 900 and GSM 1800 would both be 2G frequencies and we would use both of those bands on our network,

For 3g frequencies we wold use the UMTS 2100 band,

Now what exactly these mean I am not 100% sure but I do know that if any phone supports any of the above frequencies / bands then they would be fully supported on the 48 network and should work,

It sounds to me like you are hitting a Coverage black spot which can be caused by a number of external factors and I found the below on our Parent Companies website -

" Unfortunately, no network can tell you how strong your signal will be indoors. That's because the signal strength needed to pass through walls and windows varies from building to building.
The closer you are to a mast, the stronger your signal. Signal can also be affected by the lay of the land (hills, valleys, forests etc).
Cranes or scaffolding, for example, can obstruct the signal.
Your SIM card, phone settings, a low battery, and running older software can all affect the signal.
Strong winds, flooding or falling trees, for example, can affect our masts.
When we're carrying out planned or unplanned maintenance, your signal will probably be affected.

The best way of checking this would be to test the Sim that is having Issues in another phone and see what happens, If the same thing happens then this is probably a Coverage or possible Sim failure, If the Sim works in another phone then we can say the phone could be the possible cause,

If you would like a new Sim sent out with the same mobile number pre-loaded with the same mobile number then you can follow the below steps -

To do this you first need to sign into your 'my 48' section of our website and choose 'Change my Sim' and then 'Swap my SIM - I need a new type of SIM' This will send out a new Sim and once it arrives you then sign back in and choose 'Step 2: Activate a replacement SIM' and this will transfer your current membership across to the new Sim.

Hope this helps Oleg and any Issues with this and you can always get back to me,

Speak soon!

William @ the 48 care crew
Go conquer!
0 Likes

Coach
‎09-06-2018 04:52 PM
Ordered 2100 mhz repeater with Yagi antenna external and omnidirectional antenna internall. Could have ordered cheaper direct from China for around 40 euro but bought for 72 from Germany.
In the mean time setup 2g only on one of the phones and it seems to be ok, only a few places in house where it is not able to connect to mast but I want to have 3g when I leave the house and do not want to play with settings.
Plan is to test specific 3g mast rssi outside and inside the house, test with Yagi antenna at each direction and location, on sky dish mount, possibly may need a pole and clamps to raise higher and to have longer distance between internal and external antennas, could try in attic and test signal close to repeater.
0 Likes

The Legend
‎09-06-2018 05:15 PM

@cakebuster wrote:

In the mean time setup 2g only on one of the phones and it seems to be ok, only a few places in house where it is not able to connect to mast but I want to have 3g when I leave the house and do not want to play with settings.

As far as I recall (it's ages since I played with it) Tasker can be configured with rules that will switch to 2G in one location and back to 3G when you leave that location:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.dinglisch.android.taskerm

There may be other similar (free and paid) apps that can do similar things.

Hope this helps.

I am not a 48 employee so if you need to contact 48 support then use option 3 or the chat facility here.
0 Likes

Announcements
If you haven't already registered, now is a good time to do so. Register now >>
Order a free SIM
Earn some extra credit or cash with MatesRates!
Unlock your phone
Ask the community