Hi there!
You're not logged in
To get started, click here to Login or Register. You can also check out our Community Guidelines in the Newsroom, or check out some of the other posts on the Community below.
Crew Member

Faster data speeds

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone,

As promised in my previous updates, I want to share the latest outputs from our network investment programme, which is being undertaken to bring to bring increased stability to our network and more specifically to deliver faster speeds on our 3G data service.

Over the past few days the final stages of this particular piece of work has been completed and you should have noticed faster speeds on your handset.  These faster speeds are technically known as HSPA (Higher Speed Packet Access), or sometimes referred to as 3.5G. This is an extension of the 3G standard as opposed to a different system altogether.

The improvements we have made will deliver speeds that provide a significantly better experience; from general internet and email usage; to streaming movies and sport, and video chatting with your friends - ultimately providing a much slicker online experience from your handset.

Theoretical speeds are regularly quoted in relation to new mobile data speeds and they are often not achievable in in the real world.  We have been completing a lot of testing of the new speeds in advance of the full launch.  In general the highest speed you previously could get on 48 was between 1.5 and 2.0 Mbps.  Now we are regularly getting between 3.0 and 4.0 Mbps and sometimes even higher speeds in certain locations. Admittedly, my desk is pretty close to a mast, but these speeds were also experienced when myself and other members of the 48 team have been out and about, away from the office.

Of course, as with every mobile network, the speeds you will experience may vary as there are a number of factors that affect it; how close you are to the network mast, local capacity on that particular mast, the type of phone you have and the capacity of our network at peak usage times.  In particular we have found that the handset type can make a big difference to the speeds you can get.

Please post your own feedback below on the speeds you are seeing.  It would be great to see some of the before and after speeds if you have them.  We use www.speedtest.net, but you may have other online tools you use.

These changes mean our great value memberships and add-ons are now giving you even more value for your money.   Don’t forget, with The Don you a massive get 5GB of internet to take advantage of our faster data speeds.

Til next time,

Techie Kev

You don’t need to make any changes on your handset to pick up the faster data speeds, it should work right away, please just ensure you have the correct data settings in your phone first.

Level 3: Fresh Meat

Re: Faster data speeds on 48

Should there be an improvement in all areas of the country.

getting E all the time, not too worried about what the speed im getting , just wondering should it have improved?

Level 48: Van Wilder

[ Edited ]

You probably know that E means EDGE or 2G. I'm not sure if they have extended the 3G/3.5G coverage so if you were previously on 2G maybe that doesn't change - in which case the speeds won't change...

If this answers your question then please mark your question as solved - see here.
Crew Member

[ Edited ]

Hi pmcardle/dalyer,

The improvements have been to 3G speeds, which means that where you have a 3G signal the speed you experience is faster. The stronger the signal generally means the faster the speed which, as a result, means a better improvement in speed due to our changes.

There have been no changes to the our parent networks 3G or Edge.  So, if your 3G or Edge signal is poor because of your location, then unfortunately, that is not going to change.  Often the 3G network is good outdoors, but then when you are indoors you can only pick up Edge.  

Level 2: The Newbie

so what areas will have faster speeds ?

in Enniscorthy, Co Wexford using speedtest.net on my Samsung Galaxy Ace Plus @ 10.30pm: Ping - 310, download - 1.97 mbps, upload - 0.36 mbps.

Are there any changes in the pipleline in relation to the Edge signal?

In Loughrea this morning I got 12.38 Mbps down and 1  up.

duanejames wrote:

In Loughrea this morning I got 12.38 Mbps down and 1  up.

I presume that 12.38Mbps is a typo or else you were actually on wifi or something?!?

If this answers your question then please mark your question as solved - see here.

Posted from Apple iPhone

Can I add a photo here or a link to one?
Posted from Apple iPhone

No typo, 12 down and 1 open and wifi off in a carpark.
Posted from Apple iPhone
Level 2: The Newbie

I just did a speedtest in Newbridge, Co. Kildare and I'm very impressed!

13.87mb down

0.8mb up

Huge increase in the download speeds. Will also test in Dublin once I'm back up after the weekend. 

Test phone: Nexus 4 HSPA+

Crew Member

[ Edited ]

Many thanks for your feedback over the past few days.  It’s great to see you guys getting speeds of up to nearly 14Mbps.  It would be interesting to see what handsets you are using and what signal you had when you experienced those speeds.  Our experience is that you get faster speeds with a stronger signal and newer, higher spec phones are getting the fastest speeds too.

The improvements we have made to our data speeds are across our 3G network infrastructure.  As I have mentioned in previous posts, the masts of our parent network, however we have our own separate core platform and infrastructure.  The upgrades we have been making have been to our core platform so that it can continue to handle higher volumes of data traffic and provide higher speeds to your handsets.

The limitations of this work is that your handset speeds are still dependent on getting a good signal from our parent networks masts.  When you have a strong 3G signal then you stand the best chance of getting really good speeds.

We have made no changes to the 2G or Edge network and have no plans to do so.  The 2G/Edge standard has limited potential data speeds of up to 100Kbps, much lower than 3G.  However, it is worth pointing out that the more and more people who have smartphones that use 3G rather than 2G/Edge, means fewer handsets using the 2G/Edge network which frees up some capacity on those connections at peak times.  However, 2G/Edge will always still be limited to 100Kbps. 

Thanks for the update those are some really impressive stats

Unfortunately where I am in ardee co.louth, Im getting download of 0.04 mbps and upload of 0.04 mbps

@pmcardle, that doesn't sound like your on 3g. what's on your status bar when doing the tests? 3g or E?
Posted from Samsung GT-I9100

Im on E and H+

Do you know anybody else on 48 or O2 in that area?

If so what sort of data speeds do they get?

No none on o2, vodafone and meteor with h, getting 5-6 mpbs

Its not a huge issue just wondering if i am getting h, what sort of speeds I should get

I live on the border of Dublin inner city/northside.

Down: 4.5Mbps

Up: 2.5Mbps

Ping: 65ms

Signal strength: -91dB  12asu

Traditionally, my estate had a bad signal and I still have the habit of standing beside a window when I get a call Smiley Happy  So I'm pretty impressed with these speeds.

My phone is an American variant of the Galaxy S2 (model T989) with cyanogenmod 11 (Kitkat/4.4) just installed on it.

Check these out

Got a question about something technical? Chances are you'll find the answer in Most Popular Questions.

Kickback is changing to Mates Rates!

Want to earn some extra credit or cash? Simples. Get your mates signed up to 48 and we’ll give you €10 credit…for free! Click here for more info.

The 48 Community Helper Program

Need help unlocking your phone?

Before you can use 48 your phone needs to be unlocked. Read our unlock guide here.

Winner in 2014 Web Awards