Crew Member
techie_kev

Faster data speeds

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone,

As promised in my previous updates, I want to share the latest outputs from our network investment programme, which is being undertaken to bring to bring increased stability to our network and more specifically to deliver faster speeds on our 3G data service.

Over the past few days the final stages of this particular piece of work has been completed and you should have noticed faster speeds on your handset.  These faster speeds are technically known as HSPA (Higher Speed Packet Access), or sometimes referred to as 3.5G. This is an extension of the 3G standard as opposed to a different system altogether.

The improvements we have made will deliver speeds that provide a significantly better experience; from general internet and email usage; to streaming movies and sport, and video chatting with your friends - ultimately providing a much slicker online experience from your handset.

Theoretical speeds are regularly quoted in relation to new mobile data speeds and they are often not achievable in in the real world.  We have been completing a lot of testing of the new speeds in advance of the full launch.  In general the highest speed you previously could get on 48 was between 1.5 and 2.0 Mbps.  Now we are regularly getting between 3.0 and 4.0 Mbps and sometimes even higher speeds in certain locations. Admittedly, my desk is pretty close to a mast, but these speeds were also experienced when myself and other members of the 48 team have been out and about, away from the office.

Of course, as with every mobile network, the speeds you will experience may vary as there are a number of factors that affect it; how close you are to the network mast, local capacity on that particular mast, the type of phone you have and the capacity of our network at peak usage times.  In particular we have found that the handset type can make a big difference to the speeds you can get.

Please post your own feedback below on the speeds you are seeing.  It would be great to see some of the before and after speeds if you have them.  We use www.speedtest.net, but you may have other online tools you use.

These changes mean our great value memberships and add-ons are now giving you even more value for your money.   Don’t forget, with The Don you a massive get 5GB of internet to take advantage of our faster data speeds.

Til next time,

Techie Kev

You don’t need to make any changes on your handset to pick up the faster data speeds, it should work right away, please just ensure you have the correct data settings in your phone first.

Level 1: First Base
pmcardle

Re: Faster data speeds on 48

Should there be an improvement in all areas of the country.

getting E all the time, not too worried about what the speed im getting , just wondering should it have improved?

Level 48: Van Wilder
dalyer

[ Edited ]

You probably know that E means EDGE or 2G. I'm not sure if they have extended the 3G/3.5G coverage so if you were previously on 2G maybe that doesn't change - in which case the speeds won't change...

If this answers your question then please mark your question as solved - see here.
Crew Member
techie_kev

Hi pmcardle/dalyer,

The improvements have been to 3G speeds, which means that where you have a 3G signal the speed you experience is faster. The stronger the signal generally means the faster the speed which, as a result, means a better improvement in speed due to our changes.

There have been no changes to the O2’s 3G or Edge networks.  So, if your 3G or Edge signal is poor because of your location, then unfortunately, that is not going to change.  Often the O2 3G network is good outdoors, but then when you are indoors you can only pick up Edge.  

caroline94

so what areas will have faster speeds ?

essmbee

in Enniscorthy, Co Wexford using speedtest.net on my Samsung Galaxy Ace Plus @ 10.30pm: Ping - 310, download - 1.97 mbps, upload - 0.36 mbps.

pmcardle

Are there any changes in the pipleline in relation to the Edge signal?

duanejames

In Loughrea this morning I got 12.38 Mbps down and 1  up.

Level 48: Van Wilder
dalyer

duanejames wrote:

In Loughrea this morning I got 12.38 Mbps down and 1  up.

I presume that 12.38Mbps is a typo or else you were actually on wifi or something?!?

If this answers your question then please mark your question as solved - see here.
duanejames

Posted from Apple iPhone