cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it worth getting iOS 7?

Admin48
Crew (retired)
Crew (retired)
We were well excited about this "biggest change to the iOS since the introduction of the iPhone" but here we go: Download fails, not enough storage... seems like one hell of a ride you're in for just for updating your phone's operating system.

Which raises the question: Is it really worth getting iOS 7?

What are those amazing new features they promised:

• new interface design with shiny new icons
  • new control centre
  • iTunes radio
  • multitasking
  • AirDrop
  • Notification centre
  • New Camera features: snapshot, sharing, filters
  • New photo gallery which sorts your pictures in years, collections and moments

My old photo gallery did the trick for me, I don't need my phone to do the thinking in arranging the photos. For photo filters I always used instagram and sharing snapshots can be easily done using Snapchat. I don't need iTunes radio because I have TuneIn and Bump perfectly does what AirDrop promises.

What about you?

Has anyone of you succeeded in downloading it? How long did it take you?

Are the new features really worth going through this download hell?

I'm dying to know, share some screenshots with me if you can, thanks!
5 REPLIES 5

Anon
Not applicable

Hey guys it's me again 🙂

Today is my first day using the new iOS 7 for the iPhone,  and I'm wondering what you guys think of it?

It's definitely different. In my opinion, mostly aestethic.

Lets take a look shall we?

• First of all, one new main feature is the "Control Centre" panel which appears when you slide your finger up from the bottom of the screen.
  • It gives you a menu of basic settings and iPod menu
  • My favourite thing about this new control centre is that the torch and camera option are there to access quickly and easily. Plus, it's hella handy being able to pause and skip music tracks, without opening the actual iPod app.
  • Just a quick note guys, if you have an iPhone4 like me, the control centre will be greyscale.

Next up is the homescreen!

• The major change is the look of the apps. They are cleaner, sharper, more colorful and truthfully, in my opionion, more cutesey and cartoonish looking.
  • After a few updates in the app store, you'll see a major change in the look of some of the apps.
  • Also, you know how before, double tapping the homebutton produced a menu of running apps that you tapped the small x to get rid of? That's a little different now. When you double tap, a picture menu of your running apps appear, and you simply flick away the picture to shut them down. It's quite satisfying really.

• There's new system sounds, so when i first got a message I had no idea what my phone was trying to tell me, so maybe check out sound settings and have a little snoop around
  • The camera now has new settings, so you can swipe just to change from video to camera, to "square" camera, while the photo gallery looks a little different and seems to to be divided into collections and moments. It's kinda cool really and looks like a photo collage.
  • There's the iTunes radio, which to be honest i'm not very interestedin, and air drop for iphone users past iphone 4

You'll notice other small changes yourself, fonts,colour schemes , that sort of thing

On a sidenote, when I first downloaded it, I must say, my phone acted incredibly weird for about an hour. Apps wouldnt open,and if they did ,would subsequently force close.  I still have a small problem with my instagram, when adding filters to the photos, the filter menu is obscured and wont go full screen. I'm going to reinstall the app and see if that fixes the problem.

Also, the iOS7 may not run smoothly with people like me with an iPhone4. It's simply not built for it. I have a 32gb, with 6gb to spare and so far it's running pretty smoothly.

All and all, I would reccomend you download it. If you don't want to, and think you should wait for some updates, fair enough! Once you change to iOS 7 you can't go back.

It's a LOT more pleasing to look at, and a few extra bits to play with. It's not THAT much different, but a huge difference wasn't expected !

Anon
Not applicable
Thank you! 😄

Admin48
Crew (retired)
Crew (retired)

Ok you've convinced me, I'll download it right now. See you in a couple of hours, haha

watson98
Newcomer
I still have ios6. I got the av cable from apple so I can connect the iPhone and watch films on my tv. It won't work on ios7. I'll have to upgrade eventually cos nothing will work on the older systems one day. It's just the way it goes,onwards and upwards as they say.

My reason for not getting it yet is because I have entirely too many photos and videos on my phone and there's no room for a system update. Cat Tongue