Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Let’s get technical...on data speeds

[ Edited ]
Crew Member
‎29-05-2013 02:24 PM

Hi everyone,

Following my update last week I want to share with you our plans to improve data speeds on our network.

As you probably know we use the our parent networks radio network (their masts), so you get the same coverage and call quality as their customers. However, as we are a separate operator we have our own core platform and infrastructure. This means there are two main areas that affect the data speed you experience; one is our core platform and the other is our parent netwroks radio network.

As I mentioned previously, we have an ongoing investment programme on our core platform to continually deliver improvements.  One of the key things we are working on is data speeds.  Our 3G network currently delivers a peak download speed of 2.0 Mbps.  While this is lower than some other operators in the Irish market, the fact that we have a smaller customer base means that while our theoretical speeds are lower your data experience is comparable.  Nevertheless, the actual speed you experience can vary greatly due to a number of factors including your distance from masts, your location, peak usage times and handset type.

As our customer base grows we need to continue to invest in capacity on our platform to cater for the growing customer numbers, which means over the coming weeks you will see increases in the speed of your internet connection.  You may have noticed some improvements in your data speeds just before Christmas last year.  This was an incremental improvement and we made further enhancements in our capacity earlier this week which have improved the speeds you get.  We will also be doing further upgrades at the end of June which will mean you should see more improvements to data speeds from the beginning of July.    This investment in capacity on our network will mean more and more of you will be able to get speeds closer to 2.0 Mbps at more times of the day.

Towards the end of this year we will be further upgrading our 3G capacity to be able to provide you with HSPA data speeds, which will deliver download speeds of up to 21 Mbps. I will keep you updated on our introduction of HSPA in the coming months.

You may also have read plenty of coverage in the media recently about our parent networks investment in their own network.  In many places around the country you cannot get a strong 3G signal and sometimes you cannot get it indoors at all.  Our parent network are investing lots in their 3G network to improve data speeds across the country with more upgrades to come during the rest of the year.

This all means that you will see enhancements in your data speeds in the coming weeks and months with a big improvement to come towards the end of the year.  I look forward to seeing your feedback and please let me know when you start experiencing faster data speeds.  You can download the Speedtest.net app to check your speeds now, during and after our upgrade work. 

As always, keep an eye on the Community for more updates in the coming weeks.

Til next time,

Techie Kev

0 Likes

Re: Let’s get technical...on data speeds

[ Edited ]
The Legend
‎30-05-2013 10:37 AM

For what it's worth here are my results.

Just a single test in each case in the D1/7 area - so I didn't do multiple tests and average them or anything...

Test 1:

I selected Use 2G only in settings and Settings > About > Status reports EDGE:2

Ping: 254ms Download: 194Kbps Upload: 95Kbps

Test 2:

I deselected Use 2G only in settings and Settings > About > Status reports HSDPA:9 (see here http://community.48months.ie/t5/Techie-Updates/Resolved-3G-coverage-issues-08-05-2013/m-p/328#U328 for whether or not this is significant!)

Ping: 246ms Download: 1350Kbps Upload: 124Kbps

Hope this helps.

I am not a 48 employee so if you need to contact 48 support then use option 3 or the chat facility here.
1 Like

Crew Member
‎31-05-2013 08:09 AM

Hi dalyer,

thanks for that update, it looks like you’re now getting higher speeds compared to what you reported in this post.  Let us know if you see any further improvements.

Techie Kev

0 Likes

[ Edited ]
The Legend
‎07-06-2013 11:04 PM

I redid the same tests as above this evening in the D1/7 area:

2G only/EDGE:2

Ping: 518ms

Download: 171Kbps

Upload: 121Kbps

3G/HSDPA:9

Ping: 562ms

Download: 1496Kbps

Upload: 116Kbps

I am not a 48 employee so if you need to contact 48 support then use option 3 or the chat facility here.
1 Like

Crew Member
‎11-06-2013 10:11 AM

Hi dalyer,

thanks for that update.  Are you consistently getting those speeds now?  Has your general data experience improved since our capacity improvements?

Techie Kev

0 Likes

[ Edited ]
The Legend
‎11-06-2013 10:21 AM

I can't comment on what the regular speeds or experience are. I don't use data that much and when I do I'm generally on 2G/EDGE because 3G kills my battery and 2G is (maybe inherently?) dog slow - at least for browsing. The odd time I toggle from 2G to 3G but most of the time I don't bother as I'm using apps that are light on data like Dublin Bus, BikeDroid etc.

For what it's worth I did another test - D1/7 area:

2G only/EDGE:2

Ping: 493ms

Download: 175Kbps

Upload: 120Kbps

3G/HSDPA:9

Ping: 247ms

Download: 1593Kbps

Upload: 139Kbps

Hope this helps.

0 Likes

Anon
‎19-11-2013 04:15 PM
Hi,
Just give u my penny's worth, I ran speed net test in Balbriggan co. Dublin and it was as follows,

Down 1.8mps
Up 1.1 mps
Ping 56
Posted from Sony C5303
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
The Legend
‎19-11-2013 04:35 PM

My latest test ...

Huawei G300/U8815 running Gingerbread on 3G/HSDPA in Dublin 7 (sounds like Cluedo! Man LOL)

Down 2.37 Mbps

Up 0.37 Mbps Man Sad

Ping 437 ms Man Sad

0 Likes

Announcements
If you haven't already registered, now is a good time to do so. Register now >>
Order a free SIM
Earn some extra credit or cash with MatesRates!
Unlock your phone
Ask the community