Members

Community Manager

Broadband on 48? + Free Credit!

Hi there!

Here at 48, we love giving our customers more of what they need, and we’re hearing you loud and clear! You love data and internet, and we do too.

I’d like your opinion if you have a moment. If we were to launch a broadband plan, would you be interested? And how much data do you feel you would need?

The most helpful answer will get €5 credit for free!

Thanks in advance,

Sheena

48 Community Manager

The Legend

Re: Broadband on 48? + Free Credit!

Question seems unclear to me.

What exactly do you mean by a "broadband plan" and how does it differ from what is already available in terms of 3G+ data allowances?

Do you mean a home broadband plan?

Delivered how (e.g. landline, cable, wireless etc.)?

What sort of specs - e.g. download/upload speeds, download/upload allowances etc.?

If this answers your question then please mark your question as solved - see here.
Community Manager

dalyer wrote:

Question seems unclear to me.

What exactly do you mean by a "broadband plan" and how does it differ from what is already available in terms of 3G+ data allowances?

Do you mean a home broadband plan?

Delivered how (e.g. landline, cable, wireless etc.)?

What sort of specs - e.g. download/upload speeds, download/upload allowances etc.?

Hi @dalyer, sorry, I was being very vague! 

It would be mobile broadband over a 3G connection, so speeds of up to 21MB/s. I'd like to hear from the Community on what limits, allowances and prices they would like to see, and I'll be feeding that all back to the team here.

Any and all suggestions are welcome!

The Legend

Thanks - but I'm still a bit confused.

Do you mean wireless broadband via a dongle using a 48 SIM as opposed to using your phone (e.g. as a personal hotspot etc.)?

So a dedicated device with a dedicated SIM purely for wireless broadband?

I'm curious as to why anybody would opt for that rather than just, say, Don/Mitch membership with 8/15GB data allowance usable via a personal hotspot?

Where does the 21Mbps limit come from? Is that a HSPA, HSDPA, HSPA+ etc. limit or something?

Apologies for all the pedantic questions... Man Embarassed

If this answers your question then please mark your question as solved - see here.
Community Manager

dalyer wrote:

Thanks - but I'm still a bit confused.

Do you mean wireless broadband via a dongle using a 48 SIM as opposed to using your phone (e.g. as a personal hotspot etc.)?

So a dedicated device with a dedicated SIM purely for wireless broadband?

I'm curious as to why anybody would opt for that rather than just, say, Don/Mitch membership with 8/15GB data allowance usable via a personal hotspot?

Where does the 21Mbps limit come from? Is that a HSPA, HSDPA, HSPA+ etc. limit or something?

Apologies for all the pedantic questions... Man Embarassed

All great questions! I'm 90% sure of the answers, but let me check this with the team and get back to you, as I don't want to give the wrong info Smiley Happy

Sheena

Community Manager

Hi @dalyer, you've made some excellent points there and here are some of the answers to your questions.

This would be a WiFi broadband device that allows up to 10 connected devices (phones, tablets, playstations, PCs, laptops etc), and it's a dedicated device with a dedicated broadband SIM.

Regarding the speeds, 21Mbps is the highest speeds available on 3G (H, H+). Depending on your location it would generally be between 1Mbps and 10Mbps, as mobile / wireless connections are subject to contention. If you have a great 3G service on your 48 phone, you’re likely to have the same experience on Broadband, as it’s the same 3G network. If we can offer 4G service, it would be up to 10 times faster again.

This is a concept at the moment, so there are no finalised details as of yet. Essentially we are looking at a 3G or 4G service on a WiFi modem or router, than can connect up to 10 devices.

Thanks for the questions and feedback so far, super helpful Smiley Happy 

The Legend

Thanks for the info.

At the moment I can't really see a reason for somebody to opt for this as opposed to just using their phone (with Mitch or Don membership) as a personal hotspot.

Can you or anybody else outline the pros and cons?

Community Manager

Hi @dalyer, it would be aimed at people who would need multiple devices connected at once, so if you're happy using your phone as a hotspot, this may not suit you but could suit others. 

I'd love to hear other peoples thoughts on whether they would be interested in it. It's just something we're considering for now Smiley Happy 

Average Joe

Yes. Interested
Hot Rod

Id be interested if it would be guaranteed to be faster than a mobile phone hotspot would be Smiley Happy the price depends on how much data was in it, obviously it would have to work out better than just using the "Mitch" or "don" deal but for the right amount at the right price I think it's a good idea!
Posted from Apple iPhone
Hot Rod

I think maybe €30 for 25gb each month and for every customer who joins they get 1gb data free each month Smiley Happy
Posted from Apple iPhone
The Legend

I don't know what the going rate is for similar products but I would hope that it's lower than €30 p.m. for 25GB to be honest...

Average Joe

I honestly feel the idea is good but to be realistically students are using huge amounts of data and are demanding the highest speeds. I have UPCs fastest broadband at the moment. I could download easily 7gb in a day. From movies, Netflix, streaming, music, file transferal and Google Drive. Your package might suit some students that want a bit of Internet to surf the net and watch the odd Netflix show but I'd want 4G and large data amounts per month
Posted from Apple iPhone
Average Joe

Would love to see 4g on the 48 network and have crap wired broadband myself so using the 3 mobile broadband at the moment(60gb).Wonderng if there could be a package for people like me that would have a high usage cap such as 100gb.Thanks

Posted from Apple iPad
Average Joe

Would love to see 4g on the 48 network and have crap wired broadband myself so using the 3 mobile broadband at the moment(60gb).Wondering if there could be a package for people like me that would have a high usage cap such as 100gb.Thanks

Posted from Apple iPad