Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Board band

ste086
Visitor
Can get just a board band card from 48 to run on my laptop in a dongle
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I don't think that the SIM is linked to the phone at all given that I can take mine out and stick it in another unlocked phone and it works. So I think you could get as many SIMs as you like from 48 and register/activate them and use them whatever way you like. (You would probably need a separate email address for each registration though). I'm not really sure why you'd do that though? The key thing here seems to be if 48 allow tethering or the use of a SIM in a dongle. The T&Cs seem to say "no". But in the past 48 support have said "yes - as long as you don't breach any applicable fair usage limit". So if they DO allow it in practice (in spite of the T&Cs) why not just have one SIM in your phone and configure the phone as a wifi hotspot sharing your data connection? But if you wanted a separate SIM for a dedicated wireless broadband dongle then you could do that too. Subject to whatever 48 say about allowing tethering/dongles...

Hope this helps (although I think I'm probably complicating things above!!?!)

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

View solution in context

8 REPLIES 8

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend

You mean broadband? 

And I presume you're asking if you can get a 48 SIM to install in a dongle so that your computer can access the internet over the 48 data network?

Technically that may work but according to this 48 don't support this mode of operation:

Fair Use Policy/ Acceptable Use Policy

Our internet options are available for use with your 48 SIM Card in your 48 handset only. Except where expressly stated, tethering or use of the 48 handset as, or the sim in conjunction with, a modem is not allowed and may be disabled.

Hope this helps.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

ste086
Visitor
Ok so I guess that is a no then ok just though I would ask as I need to get broadband in and just wanted to givve48 first go that is all

Ask 48 support about this because in the past there were mixed/unclear messages about it.

How to get help

Their terms and conditions don't allow it but I've seen 48 support staff post in the (old) forum that it was OK once you didn't breach your data cap. And technically I don't think that there's any simple way for them to block the use of a SIM in a dongle or as a tethered device for sharing internet in a phone. Anyway - ask them directly and see what they say but if/when you try it make sure to monitor your data usage and don't breach any "unlimited" data cap as if you do this once you will be barred for the remainder of your current membership month and if you do it a second time you will be barred for good.

Hope this helps.

ste086
Visitor
Can you have 2 plans on one phone and use the hotspot to work ur laptop off ur phone I have an iPhone 4 will this work

I don't think that the SIM is linked to the phone at all given that I can take mine out and stick it in another unlocked phone and it works. So I think you could get as many SIMs as you like from 48 and register/activate them and use them whatever way you like. (You would probably need a separate email address for each registration though). I'm not really sure why you'd do that though? The key thing here seems to be if 48 allow tethering or the use of a SIM in a dongle. The T&Cs seem to say "no". But in the past 48 support have said "yes - as long as you don't breach any applicable fair usage limit". So if they DO allow it in practice (in spite of the T&Cs) why not just have one SIM in your phone and configure the phone as a wifi hotspot sharing your data connection? But if you wanted a separate SIM for a dedicated wireless broadband dongle then you could do that too. Subject to whatever 48 say about allowing tethering/dongles...

Hope this helps (although I think I'm probably complicating things above!!?!)

ste086
Visitor
Thanks for ur help I will try

hooter007
Newcomer

i have a vodafone dongle and am getting it unlocked for my brother to use other network sims

IE:48 sim

as all he does is purchases the 15GB for €15 per month from  GO conquer  and has his phone connected to his laptop and just uses the internet on the laptop all the time through the fone 

now he does not go past his 15GB allowance (as i dont think he can even if he wanted)

all he will be is doing the same thing he has been doing the last few months with his phone except it will be with a dongle now 

putting the sim into the dongle and connecting either weired or weireless to his laptop

now my question 

will he need settings for the dongle when he puts the 48 network sim into it as it used to be vodafone? (if yes)

where will he get these settings from ?

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend

Strictly the terms and conditions don't allow the use of 48 SIMs in dongles or for tethering. But in practice it looks like they don't mind as long as you don't breach the other fair usage limits where applicable:

Fair Use Policy/ Acceptable Use Policy

A dongle presumably will need to be configured with the appropriate APN/internet settings whatever way that's done on the dongle. You can get them here:

Internet Settings

I'd imagine that the generic ones should work.

Hope this helps.