cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I text foreign numbers using the EU roaming package?

Anon
Not applicable

I'm going to the UK and will need to contact peope on +44 numbers, if I buy the roaming text add-on will I be able to text both Irish and UK numbers?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

OK - so the clarification from 48 is that the EU roaming add-ons will cover calls or texts to Irish mobiles and landlines as well as mobiles and landlines in the country where you are roaming - but not other international numbers. So if you are in the UK and have the add-ons you can call/text Irish or UK mobiles/landlines but not, say, French or German numbers. Those will be charged from your credit balance as normal.

Sorry about the confusion but I think that's correct now...

Hope this helps.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

View solution in context

5 REPLIES 5

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend

I'm pretty sure that the EU roaming add-ons cover calls and texts to Irish mobiles (and regular landlines?) only and not calls/texts to non Irish numbers which are still charged from your credit balance as normal. The old site had a more detailed description of the EU roaming add-ons but the new one doesn't seem to have this info...

Check with 48 support to be sure and maybe post back here what they tell you?

How to get help

Hope this helps.

Edit: oh - eventually found the link but it's not as obvious as on the old site...

Add-on Rules

You may use your EU Roaming add-ons for making calls to or sending texts to the Republic of Ireland while in EU Countries only. For details on eligible EU countries click here. You may not use your EU add-ons for calls or texts to international numbers, premium rate numbers, non-geographic numbers or Directory Enquiries.

So the EU roaming add-ons definitely don't cover calls/texts to non Irish numbers but it's not clear if they also cover calls to Irish landlines.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

Anon
Not applicable

So if I were to just add credit to my account, could I use that to text Irish numbers as well as UK ones?

Yes - but for Irish calls/texts the EU roaming add-ons often work out cheaper.

With the EU calls add-on the outgoing call rates are the same but it costs nothing to receive calls.

Without it you pay per minute to receive calls.

With the EU text add-on the cost per outgoing text is slightly lower.

Hope this helps.

Word from 48 is that the wording on the page that I quoted above is wrong and in fact the EU calls/texts add-ons DO cover calls/texts to non Irish numbers after all... I'm a bit skeptical though because I seem to recall texts to French mobiles while I was in France NOT coming from my add-on but being charged from my credit balance. So - it's unclear at the moment... Man Indifferent

OK - so the clarification from 48 is that the EU roaming add-ons will cover calls or texts to Irish mobiles and landlines as well as mobiles and landlines in the country where you are roaming - but not other international numbers. So if you are in the UK and have the add-ons you can call/text Irish or UK mobiles/landlines but not, say, French or German numbers. Those will be charged from your credit balance as normal.

Sorry about the confusion but I think that's correct now...

Hope this helps.