cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting number without unlocking old phone

s3923
Visitor

Hi folks, hope someone can help. Friend wants to move to 48 (48 SIM just arrived in the post), and is with Vodafone PAYG. Can't unlock the existing phone because Vodafone won't give out the NAC without having spent a certain (unreasonable) amount in the last six months. Perfectly happy to abandon the phone and get a new SIM free one.

Can they port their Vodafone number to 48 without unlocking their Vodafone phone? In other words, is the number port completely independent of the phone unlock, or can Vodafone prevent them from porting the number?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend

@s3923 wrote:

Can they port their Vodafone number to 48 without unlocking their Vodafone phone? 

Yes. 

What make and model of phone is it? It may be possible to unlock it unofficially if Vodafone won't provide the NAC.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

View solution in context

7 REPLIES 7

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend

@s3923 wrote:

Can they port their Vodafone number to 48 without unlocking their Vodafone phone? 

Yes. 

What make and model of phone is it? It may be possible to unlock it unofficially if Vodafone won't provide the NAC.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

Thanks.

It's a Nokia 2720 (says 2720a-2 on battery compartment).

How does one go about an "unofficial" unlock?

(Oh, should also have asked ... does getting the number ported *depend* on an unofficial unlock, or can it be done regardless? At this stage have decided to buy a new SIM-free phone anyway, so only the number port is important. Meanwhile Vodafone customer care have answered that the number can be ported, although was a different person to the one that said it couldn't be unlocked, so I am a bit suspicious).

Basically, if I go through the 48 porting procedure (which says phone should be unlocked first) but without unlocking the phone ... will the number port work as I will be using a different (new) phone.

Unofficial unlock means getting/buying an unlock code online (but beware of scammers) or bringing it to a phone repair shop to see if they can unlock it. I can't see any free unlock methods for that phone at a glance so you would have to buy a code or bring it to a shop.

The number porting process has no dependency on the phone being unlocked - officially or unofficially. But you won't be able to test your SIM and ported number until you have an unlocked handset.

Hope this helps.

1amcn
Rock Star

Agree, In an instance like this i would be happy to cadge an unlocked handset off a friend for a time or buy a basic phone meantime to start the port with little time lost.

Could alway's revert to the Vodafone handset after which (dependant on fee) & unlock (with care), or Not - & get another handset (Xmas, get the order in!)

I read the afore-mentioned Vodafone agreement... unreasonable is one word i'd use...

🙂

Many thanks for the attention and info!

Friend's SIM card only arrived this morning, new cheapo Samsung Android phone now bought in Argos, number ported, membership bought ... everything working within about 90 minutes!

Went to see the new 3D Gravity movie and phone was working by the time the movie ended 🙂

Bye bye telco-who-shall-not-be-mentioned-again. Hello 48!

That's good to hear. Man Happy