cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Verizon USA Unlocked but wont work

tonyhead
Visitor

I have a HTC (M8) unlocked from from Verizon USA. It recognises O2 Sim, Three Sim but fails to recognise 48.  Anyone have any idea for solution?

29 REPLIES 29

I asked this earlier - is the 48 SIM noticeably thinner than the SIMs that work?

Just that some people report that some SIMs need "padding" (e.g. some tape or something similar) in order for them to make good contact and work properly...

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

Not that I can tell looking at the sims.  They all seem about the same.  I tried the padding.  I also tried inserting the sim without tray attached to a sturdy piece of plastic.  Again this method worked with O2/3 but not 48.

Thanks again.

@tonyhead wrote:

Not that I can tell looking at the sims.  They all seem about the same.  I tried the padding.  I also tried inserting the sim without tray attached to a sturdy piece of plastic.  Again this method worked with O2/3 but not 48.

Thanks again.

Somebody with a similar problem (with a Vodafone Smart Ultra 6) here where padding out the SIM to allow it to make good contact solved the problem...

http://community.48months.ie/t5/Need-Help/Phone-saying-no-sim-card/m-p/40432#M16699

Edit: that person confirmed that their 48 SIM IS slightly thinner than their other carrier SIM.

I know that you tried this already but perhaps you could try again incrementally adding padding to the 48 SIM to see if it helps it to make good contact?

I'd try something like a carefully cut out piece of electrical tape and then build up the layers as necessary to see if it helped.

Be careful as I am aware of the possibility/danger of stuff getting stuck in the SIM slot or clogging it up!

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

I'm back - absence not due to solving problem but hospital and phone wasn't bothering me there.  Anyway update saga - been back on to Verizon.  They say phone is totally unlocked - all their 4G LTE are sold that way. If other sim working then it not the phone.  

I have another Verizon iphone and tried sim there and it worked straight off.  

I tried a factory reset - nothing to lose.  When it was all done resetting I inserted sim. still no signal but I did get message from Three - Not sure what to make of it. (I still didn't have signal bars - couldn't make call or anything)

three.jpg 

i'm looking at a blank wall - i may see a phone splat on it soon!!

T

Hope it was nothing serious and you're on the mend...

What SIM did you insert when you got that message from 3?

If it was the 48 SIM then I don't know why you'd be getting any message from 3.

However all the message is saying is that they cannot automatically configure the internet/APN settings so you need to do that yourself - see here:

http://community.48months.ie/t5/Need-Help/Internet/m-p/34493#M12560

Did you try enabling roaming/data roaming after the factory reset?

When you manually search for networks what do you see (screenshot if possible)?

I'm stumped especially if your 48 SIM works in other unlocked phones including the other Verizon phone that you mention... 

😞

Anon
Not applicable

THANKS FOR YOUR PATIENCE WITH THIS.

What SIM did you insert when you got that message from 3?  I factory reset and then inserted 48.- after a couple of minutes the 3 messahe arrived.

Did you try enabling roaming/data roaming after the factory reset?  Yes it is enabled

When you manually search for networks what do you see (screenshot if possible)?

Screenshot_20160518-120910.jpg

When I click on Preferred Network i get a choice of 3 types.  I have tried each of these with the same result - nada

Screenshot_20160518-121519.jpg

when i try to set APN I get

Screenshot_20160518-121539.jpg

When I click the add button i get into the normal  APN SETTING SCREEN but some of the settings are greyed out and I cant set them and it wont save without settingaccesspoint.jpg

So where to now.  I still think the blank wall with a splat is appealing

Tony

Very odd.

Still no idea why you see 3 on the message about settings.

It should say 48...

Is the other Verizon phone the same model or a different one?

Edit: Sorry - just saw that you have a Verizon M8 and an iPhone so scratch that question.

Is the phone that's having problems on the latest software update?

I wonder if there is some knowledge of carriers embedded in the software and it simly doesn't know about 48 (and maybe other virtual networks)?

If you had time you could maybe try another SIM from a virtual operator on the 3 network (e.g. Lycamobile, Tesco etc.) and see if it works.

Trying to configure the APN settings when it thinks that there is no SIM installed is never going to work - it needs the SIM to allow this to proceed.

Otherwise i'm as stumped as you unfortunately...

😞

Tried two more things.  I ordered a new Sim, activated it online, inserted it - NO recognition.  

A friend has a micro sim which was cut down to size of Nano.  Its working fine in his phone, Worked fine in my phone which I'm using at present but when inserted into Verizon - No recognition.  (This sim is somewhat thicker than regular Nano sim).

Do I give up now as a lost cause before I grey immaturely!!

T

That's a real bummer and a bit of a mystery.

Did you already try a factory reset and/or reinstall of the latest stock ROM just in case that does anything to help?!

Other than that I can't think of anything else unfortunately... Man Sad

1amcn
Rock Star

Hey

Thanks for the Info... 48 as you know is an MVNO, (Mobile Virtual Network Operator) Both the other operator's mentioned in your OP are not.

At the moment that is what stands out with your query.

However that aside, the device you mention supports GSM HSPA LTE Tech so I can't see that being an issue.

Perhaps you need a new Sim, are the 48 Sims you are using several months old? Also, have you flagged a ticket with the 48 Agents?

http://www.48months.ie/help#ask-a-48-agent

PS, I'm assuming you could connect to Internet,/Message/Call out while the other sims were in the device?...