Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Let's get technical...

techie_kev
Crew
Crew

Hi everyone,

My name is Techie Kev and I am responsible for the technology in 48 (not to be confused with 48 Crew Kev, who is far more witty than me, but not as good looking, of course!).

Following the launch of the 48 Community I want to use this as a forum to keep you up-to-date and informed of the ongoing work we are doing to improve the technology we provide to you.  The new 48 Community is part of our ongoing investment to provide a great service to you, help you share ideas and give each other advice (mobile related or otherwise!).

Over the past few months we have been working hard to improve our processes to be more responsive to your needs to have a brilliant service.  We also want to be able to deliver enhancements to our platform in a more streamlined and efficient way.   The results of this may not be immediately apparent to you now as a lot of the changes are our own internal improvements, but I’m hoping they will be over time.

A big project for us so far this year was the launch of our new memberships in early April which gives you a great choice of plans whether you’re a caller, a texter or a data user.  The implementation of this on our website has improved a lot of the background processes which has resulted in customers getting less errors when they top-up and buy memberships or add-ons.

We also recently launched our Call Me service which is great way to keep in contact when you’re a bit short on funds.

In the coming weeks and months I will be providing more updates to you as our development programme progresses.  Watch this space for further updates on exciting news about data speeds, self-service improvements on our website and a new and improved Kickback

Til next time,

Techie Kev

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@dalyer wrote:

@rollerking wrote:

can anyone explain to me how 48 can text premium numbers like radio shows eg phantom 53106

I credited my account, credited roaming text etc credited minutes on my account and it still wont work :-(,

I was pretty sure that you simply cannot text premium text numbers of the form 5XXXX (see http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/ComReg1117.pdf - e.g. Table 10.8.4) from 48 but I cannot see this stated explicitly anywhere here on the 48 site. It may have been covered on the old forum.

Hope this helps.

Just to clarify - this is correct - 48 do not support texting Premium SMS (PSMS) 5XXXX numbers.

http://community.48months.ie/t5/Need-Help/Why-won-t-messages-to-5-numbers-send/m-p/7642#M2475

Hope this helps.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

View solution in context

17 REPLIES 17

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend

A few people have mentioned the SMS that they get after joining 48 which purports to configure the internet settings (or provide a link for same) but actually seems to do nothing. If 48 could push the internet/MMS/APN settings to users' phones then it would simpify things no end for customers and maybe eliminate some or all of the recurring "why does my internet/MMS not work" queries. Any chance of this happening?

Cheers

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

Thanks for your comment, dalyer. I've forwarded it to Techie Kev and he'll give you an answer as soon as his technical duties allow the time for it. So watch this space 😉

can anyone explain to me how 48 can text premium numbers like radio shows eg phantom 53106

I credited my account, credited roaming text etc credited minutes on my account and it still wont work :-(,

Hey there, I'm sure there's somebody who can help you out but for that you'll need to go to our Need Help section. Pop your question in there by starting a new message and you'll soon have a helpful reply. Good luck!

@rollerking wrote:

I was pretty sure that you simply cannot text premium text numbers of the form 5XXXX (see http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/ComReg1117.pdf - e.g. Table 10.8.4) from 48 but I cannot see this stated explicitly anywhere here on the 48 site. It may have been covered on the old forum.

Hope this helps.

thanks for the advice ill post it in the help forum see if anyone knows.

@dalyer wrote:

@rollerking wrote:

Hope this helps.

Just to clarify - this is correct - 48 do not support texting Premium SMS (PSMS) 5XXXX numbers.

http://community.48months.ie/t5/Need-Help/Why-won-t-messages-to-5-numbers-send/m-p/7642#M2475

Hope this helps.

Hi dalyer,

yes, we are aware of some issues with the configuration of data settings.  When it does works, it works really well.  However, we know that sometimes when customers do accept the settings it doesn’t work and we are working with our service provider to fix that issue and to look at other options for customers to get their data settings. 

There are also some phones (like the iPhone) that don’t accept the push settings, so they have to be manually keyed in by the customer. And then even a small typo in the typing of the codes can prevent data from working (and figuring out where the typo is can be difficult to figure out for our customer care crew as well).

Thanks for the suggestion and when we have more news on this we’ll let you know through the Community.

Thanks for the update. I assumed that the text did nothing but I guess it works in some cases - just not the ones that I tried! 🙂