Members

Community Manager
Accepted Solution

Going away? Using 48 when roaming

[ Edited ]

Can I use my 48 phone when I am on holidays or roaming?  

If you are going abroad, 48 supports roaming for calls & texts. Data roaming is only available within the EU on the Guido plan. See here for more info.

How much does it cost to make international calls?

International calls are charged from your credit balance and in Europe cost 50c per minute when you call mobiles and landlines. Texts are 25c per minute.

See here the countries in Europe where you can call:

More info
Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijani Republic, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Channel Islands, Isle of Man, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Rep, Denmark, Estonia, Faroe Islands, Finland, France, French Antilles, French Guiana, Georgia, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lichtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Martinique, Mayotte/ Reunion, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovak Rep, Slovenia Rep, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, UK (incl NI) or Ukraine

Canada, USA, New Zealand and Australia:

• Calls to mobiles and Landlines: 75c per minute
  • Texts: 25c per minute

Rest of the world:

• When you call any other country, calls to mobiles and landlines cost €1.00 per minute, texts 25c.

See here a list of countries:

More info
Afghanistan, Algeria, Angola, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina , Aruba, Bahamas , Bahrain, Bangladesh , Barbados, Belize, Benin, Bermuda, Bhutan, Bolivia, Botswana, Brazil, British Virgin Islands, Brunei, Burkina Faso, Burundi, C African Rep, Cambodia, Cameroon , Cape Verde, Cayman Islands, Chad, Chile, China , Colombia, Comoros, Congo , Congo Dm Rep, Costa Rica , Cuba, Dominica, Dominican Republic, East Timor, Ecuador, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia , Falkland Islands, Fiji , Gabon , Gambia , Ghana , Greenland, Grenada, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea Bissau , Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Hong Kong , India , Indonesia , Iran, Israel, Ivory Coast, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kiribati, Korea South, Kuwait , Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Lebanon, Lesotho , Liberia, Libya, Macao, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Mariannes , Mauritania, Mauritius, Mexico, Micronesia , Mongolia, Montserrat, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia, Nauru, Nepal , Netherlands Antilles, New Caledonia, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, Niue , Oman , Pakistan, Palau, Palestine, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru , Philippines, Qatar, Rwanda , Salvador El, Samoa, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Solomon Island, Somalia, South Africa, Sri Lanka, St Kitts, Nevis , St Lucia, St Pierre, St Vincent & the Grenadines, Sudan , Surinam, Swaziland, Syria, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Togo, Trinidad & Tobago, Tunisia, Turkmenistan, Turks and Caicos, Turks and Caicos, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Venezuela, Vietnam, Yemen, Zambia or Zimbabwe

Still confused? Something not working the way it should?

Check out the Going Abroad guide here on our site. If you still need help we've got a bunch of extremely knowledgeable people on our community, it's the best place to find more explanation and help. Give it a try!

If this post has helped you, 'like' it!

Community Manager

Re: Going away? Using 48 abroad

[ Edited ]
Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: Going away? Using 48 abroad - Update May 2017

[ Edited ]

From the 13th June 2017, changes to your plan and EU roaming rates are due to be implemented, in line with EU Regulations.

If you are on the Guido plan, good news! Your first activated membership on or after the 13th June will give you access to your minutes, texts AND data in the EU.

THE GUIDO

Current

After June 13th

Minutes

300 mins in Rep of Ireland

300 mins in Rep of Ireland and EU

Texts

Unlimited texts in Rep of Ireland

Unlimited texts in Rep of Ireland and EU

Data

1GB in Rep of Ireland

1GB in Rep of Ireland and EU

Landline minutes

60 minutes to Rep of Ireland landlines

60 minutes to Rep of Ireland landlines in Rep of Ireland and EU

Promotions

Unlimited messaging on Whatsapp in Rep of Ireland

Unlimited messaging on Whatsapp in Rep of Ireland and EU

Top up required

€10 Membership plan required

€10 Membership plan required

On other plans (Mitch, Don, Doke and Standard) you will not be able to use your phone in the EU, aside from Rep of Ireland.

The EU roaming addons will no longer be available.

On all plans outside the EU, the standard roaming rates will apply.

Where can I use this?

Anywhere in the EU, which is:

More info
  • Åland Islands

• Austria

• Belgium
  • Bulgaria
  • Croatia
  • Cyprus
  • Czech Rep
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • French Antilles (incl Guadeloupe)
  • French Guiana
  • Germany
  • Gibraltar
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Italy
  • Latvia
  • Liechtenstein
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Malta
  • Martinique
  • Mayotte & Reunion
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Portugal (incl. Azores and Madeira)
  • Romania
  • Saint-Barthélemy
  • Saint-Martin
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • Spain (incl Canary Islands)
  • Sweden
  • UK (incl Northern Ireland, Channel Islands, and Isle of Man) 

What changes for me in Ireland?

Nothing! As long as you are within Ireland everything will remain the same.

If you plan on going abroad to the EU you should get onto the Guido plan before you go if you need to use your SIM whilst you are there. As of the 13th of June the Guido membership will be the only membership that will work in the EU.

Everything with your membership within Ireland will remain the same

What about using my phone outside of Rep of Ireland or the EU?

On all our plans you will be able to use your phone outside the EU at the standard roaming rates.

I'll need more than 1GB while in the EU. Can I buy extra data?

Yes, the 1GB data addon can be used in Ireland and in the EU. See here for more.

What will the 300 minutes and unlimited texts on Guido cover in the EU?

You can use the 300 minutes and unlimited texts to call and text Ireland and the EU. 

I'm not happy with the changes, how do I cancel?

If you wish to keep your mobile number, all you need to do is contact the network that you wish to move to. They will sign you up and request your number from us. Once your number leaves 48, your account here is cancelled.

If you're not fussed about keeping your number, you can simply not top up anymore and allow your membership to expire. After a few months with no usage, your number may be recycled, meaning that you will not be able to get it back at that point.

Or if you want to cancel your number, and your account with 48 straight away, you can do so by contacting us within 30 days of the text that we sent to you.

Want to know more?

Check out more details for your plan here:

Check these out