Members

The Legend

Re: roaming

This might explain it - but it may be a bit technical. :-)

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=3499

Some phone software/ROMs (e.g. CyanogenMod) have a "national data roaming" option that can get rid of the "R" and there may be other options on rooted phones but otherwise it's just something that one has to live with as far as I know.

Hope this helps.

If this answers your question then please mark your question as solved - see here.
p48
Average Joe

Roaming

A bunch of friends and myself are going to England for a few days? Will I be able to call their Irish numbers while there or will I need to purchase roaming add on to phone them?? Please help, I leave tomorrow evening!
Posted from Apple iPad
The Legend

Re: Roaming

[ Edited ]

You will be able to use the phone there.

Your membership bundled allowances will not cover any outgoing calls or texts.

The EU roaming add-ons may be worth looking at as they may be more cost effective than paying for everything from your cash credit balance (especially since the calls add-on allows you to receive calls for free):

Going abroad

Otherwise you will need cash credit on your account to cover the cost of outgoing and incoming calls and outgoing texts.

Standard EU roaming charges

Making calls and calling your voicemail*23c
Receiving calls*6c
Sending texts7c
Receiving textsFree

Calls made in the EU are charged on a per second basis subject to minimum call duration of 30 seconds. Calls received in the EU are charged on a per second basis. All charges are inc VAT.

Data roaming will not work so you will need to use wifi where available.

"Data roaming can be expensive, so we don't support it right now. We recommend you go find a local WiFi hotspot!"

Hope this helps.

If this answers your question then please mark your question as solved - see here.
p48
Average Joe

Just to be sure.....6c a sec? Or 6c a min? I think ill just use wifi!
Posted from Apple iPad
The Legend

[ Edited ]

Yeah - it could be clearer.

The outgoing/incoming charges are per min - so 6c/min to receive calls and 23c/min to make calls.

That's why the EU roaming calls add-on might be more cost effective depending on how many calls you expect to make/receive.

Hope this helps.

Average Joe

roaming

My phone has a roaming simble in the left top corning but I have not left the country how do I get rid of this
The Legend

[ Edited ]

This is normal because 48 is a virtual network (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_virtual_network_operator) operating on the Three/O2 network.

So the phone can think that it's not on the "home" network even when it is.

Some phones have a National Data Roaming option that you can enable to get rid of it.

But if you don't have that then just ignore it.

It doesn't cause any problem or involve any additional cost.

In fact if you disable data roaming to get rid of the "R" then things will stop working correctly.

Hope this helps.

The Legend

Did that help at all?

Posted from Micromax A310
Average Joe

That's perfect thanks.
The Legend

Great - glad it helped.

Average Joe

The EU Roaming add on rates only apply to Irish numbers.

International calls are charged from your credit balance and in Europe cost 50c per minute when you call mobiles and landlines. Texts are 25c per minute.

The Legend

[ Edited ]

rufusunday wrote:

The EU Roaming add on rates only apply to Irish numbers.

This is not correct. 

This is what 48 support told me recently about the EU roaming calls add-on minutes and what they cover:

"The outgoing calls can be used for landlines/mobiles back to Ireland and landline/mobiles in the country you are in. So if you are in France all calls to French numbers will be included in the add on.

International calls when roaming are not covered. So if you are in France and call a German number this would not be included.

If you are on a call and the minutes get used in the middle of the call it will continue provding there is [cash] credit available to use."

Hope this helps.

Average Joe

while in romania what network should i be on thanksWoman Wink

The Legend

Unfortunately it looks like 48 still don't support roaming in Romania even though it's EU.
It's explicitly omitted from the lists of EU countries here:

http://www.48months.ie/membership-plans/going-abroad

Hope this helps.

Posted from Micromax A310
The Legend

Did that help at all?

Check this out