cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with iPhone - SIM not supported

elestel
Visitor

Hi,
I smashed my iPhone screen today. My friend gave me his old iPhone which I reset and erased. I'm trying to set it up now with my info but it's saying that it doesn't support my 48 sim. Can you adv what I need to do please?
Thanks
Lou

*edited subject line to match the conversation*

23 REPLIES 23

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend
Is it unlocked for use on any network or is it locked to another network?
What error message do you get?

Hope this helps.
I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend
Did that help at all @elestel?
I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

elestel
Visitor
Morning! It must be locked. He hasn't used the phone in ages. It's been in a drawer since he got an upgrade. Will I have to take it somewhere to have it unlocked?

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend
You need an unlocked phone on 48.
Maybe the network he used it on will unlock it?
If not then you may need to bring it somewhere else.
But an official unlock would be preferable on an iPhone to avoid issues thereafter.

Hope this helps.

elestel
Visitor
It's not something he wants to deal with and I doubt Vodafone will talk to me as I don't have an account with them. I'll prob just take it to a shop to get them to unlock it. Thanks for your help

It would take him five minutes to try here

https://nac.vodafone.ie

An official unlock is much preferable and possibly safer (especially with an iPhone) than an unofficial one.

Hope this helps.

elestel
Visitor
Hi,
So contacted Vodafone and took it to a shop and both stating that the iPhone is unlocked. It appears to be a problem with the 48 sim. Do I need to order a new sim from you?

Also - maybe try this even if this approach has already been outlined earlier...

https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Help-Support/Unlocked-iPhone-4-Sim-Failure/m-p/9795775#M3282643

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend
What happens when you try the SIM?
You never clarified what message you get on screen when you try it.