cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
No ratings
jess_48
Community Manager
Community Manager

To further improve your roaming experience, we’ve launched data roaming in 11 countries outside the EU/UK. 

The below countries now support data roaming and usage will be charged from your available My48 account credit balance.

Note: where credit balance is stated throughout this article this is the available additional credit balance on your My48 account. 

Albania

Serbia

Australia

Switzerland

Bosnia and Herzegovina

Turkey

Canada

Ukraine

Moldova

USA

Monaco

Full roaming rates are available to view here.

In addition to you having an available credit balance, you will also need to have an active plan. If you have an active plan but don’t have an available credit balance, then you won’t incur any charges.

To help you limit unwanted charges from your available credit balance we have also enabled automatic spend caps and notifications.

Spending caps are only available for data roaming charges in these destinations. Spend caps cannot be decreased nor are they available in the EU/UK, as EU/UK usage is consumed from your available plan allowance.

FAQs

How will I know the specific charges for the country I’m roaming in?
Full roaming rates are available to view here. When you arrive in your roaming destination, we also send you network message, outlining the roaming rates for calls, SMS and Data. See example below!

From 48. Call anywhere for EURX.XX/min & receive calls for EURX.XX/min. Receive texts for free & send for Xc. Mobile data is charged at Xc per MB. For emergency, call 112 and also check out local emergency numbers. For more information, please visit https://on48.ie/roaming.

If you don’t wish to connect to mobile data when roaming, then simply go to your device settings and turn off mobile data for the duration of your stay.

What is a data Cap limit? 
The Cap limit offers you control over how much of your additional credit is consumed when using  data roaming.

How does it work?
There are two different caps that will automatically apply to your account when you’ve consumed a specific limit from your available credit balance. Prior to reaching either limit we will also notify you when you’ve consumed 80% of available credit for each amount.

Copy of SMS

Notification 1

From 48: You have spent €49.20 inc VAT on data roaming this month. We will text you again when you reach the data roaming limit (€61.50 inc VAT).

Cap limit 1

€61.50 Vat inclusive

From 48: You have reached your data roaming limit of €61.50 inc VAT for this month. To remove the data roaming limit, text REMCAP1 to 1745

If you opt to remove Cap limit 1 and continue to use your available credit balance, we will also notify you of the below.

Copy of SMS

Notification 2

From 48: You have spent €98.40 inc VAT on data roaming this month. We will text you again when you reach the data roaming limit (€123 inc VAT).

Cap limit 2

€123 Vat Inclusive 

From 48: You have reached your data roaming limit of €123 inc VAT for this month. To remove the data roaming limit, text REMCAP2 to 1745

What if I don’t want to use data roaming in these destinations?
Simply turn off your mobile data in your device settings. For Android, go to Settings, Mobile networks, and disable Data roaming. For iPhone, go to Settings, Mobile Data Options and turn off Data Roaming.

Will my saved payment card be charged if I use data while roaming in these countries?
No. 48 is a prepay service provider therefore we do not debit your payment card for roaming charges.  Data roaming charges will only be incurred if you have an available credit balance on your My48 account.

Can I decrease the Cap?
No, the cap limits and notifications are set at default and cannot be decreased.

When is the data cap reset? 
The data cap will reset at the end of your current monthly plan. For example, if you opt out of limit 1 and remain opted out until your current plan expires. The limit will reinstate on your next plan renewal.

What if I accept the charges and want to continue using data? 
As soon as you reach the data caps you will receive an SMS to inform you. You will then have the option to free text REMCAP1 or REMCAP2 to 1745 to remove each of the caps respectively. If you choose to remove both caps, you will then be charged for any further data roaming usage provided you’ve available credit remaining.

How do I add additional credit.
Login to your My48 > Tap credit > Choose the amount you want to add > enter card details. Alternatively go to MyProfile > Payment details > add credit.

I removed the cap limit in error, how do I restore it?
You can reinstate each of the caps by free texting ADDCAP1 or ADDCAP2 respectively to 1745. Once applied we will send you a SMS to confirm the cap limit has been restored.

Is the cap limit available in the EU/UK? 
No, the cap limit is currently only available for data roaming in the listed destination.

Will the cap limit take account of my voice and text usage? 
No the cap limit only applies to data roaming charges. You can monitor your additional credit spend at any time through your My48 account. 

Can I remove data spend cap Permanently?
No, there is currently no permanent opt out of the cap limit.   

Was this article helpful? Yes No
Version history
Last update:
‎28-11-2023 05:53 PM
Updated by:
Contributors