cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming when in Ireland

Anon
Not applicable
I live in County Louth and Im pretty close to the border. Every so often my phone says that I am roaming and on the 02 UK network. Will I be charged for making calls or sending texts when this happens?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

marionh
Crew (retired)
Crew (retired)

If you connect to O2 UK and make or receive calls/texts while connected, you'll get charged for roaming! Is your network selection set to automatic? If the 48 signal is weak and the UK signal is strong it will connect to that network without any notification in that case.

Try set your network selection to manual and select 48 - it will stay connected to the 48 network. If at any time the 48 signal is poor, then it will not automatically select the UK network. You'll just remain on 48 with a weaker signal. Will stop any roaming charges from occurring without your knowledge!

Let us know how you get on?

View solution in context

3 REPLIES 3

marionh
Crew (retired)
Crew (retired)

If you connect to O2 UK and make or receive calls/texts while connected, you'll get charged for roaming! Is your network selection set to automatic? If the 48 signal is weak and the UK signal is strong it will connect to that network without any notification in that case.

Try set your network selection to manual and select 48 - it will stay connected to the 48 network. If at any time the 48 signal is poor, then it will not automatically select the UK network. You'll just remain on 48 with a weaker signal. Will stop any roaming charges from occurring without your knowledge!

Anon
Not applicable

@marionh wrote:

I think that worked 🙂 thanks for the help 

Anon
Not applicable
Hi Jack!

Glad to hear this worked for you.
Do you mind marking this thread as "solved", please? 🙂

see how below in my signature.