cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just Joined, Just registered, can't make or receive calls

Anon
Not applicable

I've just joined. I registered the sim card I got in the post, registered the sim card and purchased my membership. However I cannot make or receive calls. I can't ring or conntect to the internet. 

I badly need the phone in the morning, however it seems something has gone when registering. I'm using a new number so not transferring my old one over. I can't understand what may have happened? Is there a period where my sim card registration is evaluated or anything of that nature? 

Thanka in advance for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Is it not under Check your existing requests or View your recently solved and closed requests in your online account?

You never clarified if you are getting any signal/bars at all.

Did you try the sync with iTunes with at least 25c credit on your account?

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

View solution in context

19 REPLIES 19

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend

What does it say about your membership status and expiry date?

What happens when you manually scan for networks on your phone?

Do you see 48? If so can you connect to it?

If not try O2 instead.

If that does not work then make sure to enable data roaming and try again. That's needed because 48 is a virtual network operating on the O2 network.

Is your phone unlocked for use on any network?

For internet access you need to configure your internet settings - see here:

http://tinyurl.com/kys43lv

The online configurator should be the simplest way to do this.

Hope this helps.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support you can do so by chat, email (support@48months.zendesk.com) or phone.

Anon
Not applicable

My number is displayed. It says that my status is paid and until a date in June. My phone is unlocked and the sim has been accepted. 

None of those issues would stop me being able to ring the phone from another. It does seem that the sim card has not been activated. Is there a reason for that? Is this common for new sims to be authorised in some way?

I don't know why it doesn't work so.

You might need to contact support but they only start at 8AM if I recall correctly:

How to get help

Hope this helps.

Anon
Not applicable

Thank you for the replies, they are appreciated. I had hoped this might be a regular occurence with an easy fix but perhaps not. I've sent a message to an agent, I just hope this can be resolved first thing in the morning. 

I'm not aware of any such delay when registering a SIM and getting up and running

Certainly never happened the several times I did it anyway.

Are you getting a signal at all - i.e. signal bars?

Are you connected to 48 - or O2?

Do you have data roaming enabled?

Anon
Not applicable

There is something just not right with it. It's an iPhone 3G. I've made sure that even all the internet and MMS settings have been entered. 

It's the fact that I get an error tone when dialing my new number from another phone. The sim card is not activated. Not a great start to 48 I'll be honest. 

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend
If it's an iPhone then have at least 25c cash credit on your account and then sync with iTunes. This is sometimes (always?) required to activate the iPhone on a virtual network or one otherwise unsupported out of the box.

dalyer
The Legend
The Legend
Can you try the sim in another unlocked phone? Preferably not an iPhone? If it works there then it is registered/activated properly and the problem lies with the iPhone. And will probably be fixed by syncing with iTunes as above.

Anon
Not applicable
The phone has been activated and has accepted the network. Even if I needed cash credit, surely when I rang the number itself the generic 48 mailbox would kick in, not the dial tone.

The problem doesn't seem to be with the phone itself or the sim. It seems that because of the error tone when I ring from another phone, that the sim isn't set activated. I'd try the sim in another phone but I don't know anyone that doesn't have a micro/nano sim phone. Not even an old one to try.