Did you mean: 

Roaming not working

minmocas
Visitor
Roaming is not working
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

minmocas
Visitor
I do not understand how is SIM bad, but this is reality. Was signal for me when i was in other country and do not work.Bad service. I some people use 48months only in Ireland not recommend use for roaming.

View solution in context

26 REPLIES 26

minmocas
Visitor
48 months should send apn settings. Because how you know each country you travel abroud network apn settings. My phone still no network in Croatia. First thing what I do when back home. Say gobye to 48 months. Better pay more and get perfect service. I am no time waste on my holls. Fixing my network

For those who are roaming in the EU on a Guido membership and find that calls and texts work but internet/data does not they should check the APN configuration and if the APN field is not 48months.liffeytelecom.com already then set it to that. It may have changed to something else and changing it back to the 48 default may make data work if you then toggle airplane mode on and then off or reboot the phone.

For those who are roaming in the same situation but calls and texts are not working and manually scanning for a network and reconnecting does not help then they will probably need to contact 48 support for advice/assistance.

Hope this helps.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support then please click here - if the Chat Now option does not appear on that page then keep trying until it does.

@dalyer wrote:

For those who are roaming in the same situation but calls and texts are not working and manually scanning for a network and reconnecting does not help then they will probably need to contact 48 support for advice/assistance.

Hope this helps.

if it's any use I find the text message # (SMC) ++353894300000 is in the phone when I startup but changes to +324750004001300 once I connect to F SFR|48 network here in France (presumably the SMC this network uses?). Could this be causing any of this? Thanks.

The SMSC number is obviously only relevant to SMS and not calls or data.

I never checked it before while abroad but I would expect that in order to be able to send/receive SMS messages you would need to use the local network's SMSC.

I guess that this gets changed automatically when you connect to a foreign network while roaming.

Hope this helps.

I am not a 48 employee - if you need to contact 48 support then please click here - if the Chat Now option does not appear on that page then keep trying until it does.

dalyer wrote:

The SMSC number is obviously only relevant to SMS and not calls or data.

I never checked it before while abroad but I would expect that in order to be able to send/receive SMS messages you would need to use the local network's SMSC. I guess that this gets changed automatically when you connect to a foreign network while roaming. 

SMSC # = SMS only, yes. And changing for the network you're using abroad also makes sense.

But it's the "not enough minutes, not enough credit" message that seems to end an attempt at a call, so I'll start with support here and work from there. The fact I'm getting a message at all would seem to mean I'm getting through somewhere, and the phone is fine with WiFi and all other functions (like a useful doorstop atm).

If I can get to call it will probably sort text too. Thanks for your help.

@chorn wrote:

But it's the "not enough minutes, not enough credit" message that seems to end an attempt at a call, so I'll start with support here and work from there. The fact I'm getting a message at all would seem to mean I'm getting through somewhere, and the phone is fine with WiFi and all other functions (like a useful doorstop atm).

If I can get to call it will probably sort text too. Thanks for your help.

OK, 1st support put some credit on my phone to see if that eliminated the "not enough credit" issue- we knew my account had enough minutes.

Then in my case I had my wife's phone (48, Z5 Xperia, same French network) which had no problems with text or phone. So we put the SIM card in there over her vehement objections ("it will get infected"), eventually calmed with a light bulb analogy (we'll put the bulb/SIM in, if it works we know it's the light fixture/phone, if it doesn't we know the bulb/SIM is blown).

SIM didn't work in hers, so it has to be faulty SIM. Fortunately my sister-in-law is visiting week after next, so she'll bring a replacement SIM 48 is shipping to her. 

Until then my phone works for everything else via WiFi so for calls/text I'm using Whatsapp, which I find terrific as a backup.

Just posting state of play in hope it helps others. I'll post again next week if new SIM doesn't work either.

Thanks for posting back @chorn.

That's a bit of a pain alright but at least in your case WhatsApp is a usable stopgap.

I don't really undertand why SIMs seem to sometimes "go bad" like this.

It doesn't really make sense to me.

They're robust/durable items akin to the chips on credit cards which survive much more abuse in your bag/wallet/pocket.

Anyway - at least the info that you posted may help others in a similar situation.

minmocas
Visitor
Finaly nothing happens. Contact sopport and they said can send new sim card to me. Because I try my sim card in 2 different phones and not working. Support agree is sim problem, but this is not helps for me. I bought local operatr sim card and working perfect. First thing what I do when back to Ireland. Get new network provider. Because I can not trust anymore 48months. Good luck everyone with 48months.

@minmocas wrote:
Contact support and they said can send new sim card to me. Because I try my sim card in 2 different phones and not working. Support agree sim problem, but this is not a help for me. I bought local operator sim card and working perfect. First thing I do when back to Ireland. Get new network provider. Because I can not trust anymore 48months. Good luck everyone with 48months.

So we're in the same boat- dodgy SIM card (while using a Samsung Galaxy S7). And I found out the same way, by putting in another phone (my wife's, also a 48 customer) and finding it didn't work there either. But her phone works perfectly for calls and or texts here in France.

If I didn't have continuous WiFi allowing me to use WhatsApp for text, calls and sending photos, I'd have bought a local SIM card too as my only other option (other than using my wife's phone).

But in fairness, if it's only a faulty SIM card, I have to say 48's support service has been excellent. Kevin (thank you again) in 48 chat over 2 days spent as much time as necessary to help get to the bottom of this and isolate the problem as a bum SIM card. So I'll wait until I get the new SIM card before I think of changing providers.

But I have to say I'm bemused- everything (in Dublin) worked perfectly after I signed up last month. SIM delivery and install, moving #, texts, calls, internet. I was even texting without problems as I sat on the runway in a delayed flight from Dublin. Then landing in France and it just doesn't work. We'll see, I'll post next week here when I get the new SIM.

@minmocas thanks for your posts- very helpful to me, and best of luck. Maybe see how new SIM card works for you too?

@chorn wrote:

We'll see, I'll post next week here when I get the new SIM.

Well, SIM card arrived, popped in, started up, new settings arrived via SMS, installed them and everything works as it should. Thanks support, great job!